Array of variables as inputs

Use this forum to discuss any issues relating to Systems Dynamics and Systems Thinking.
SVK
Vensim version: PLE

Array of variables as inputs

Post by SVK »

Hello,
I have built a model that uses an array of variables as inputs and provides results in a few stock variables after the model is run. I need to run the model multiple times (40 times) for different sets of input variables.
Question 1 is : How can this be done in Vensim PLE 6.3D (academic use)? Can this be done in 6.3D at all ?
Question 2 is : If no, can any other version of Vensim provide this functionality ?
best
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Array of variables as inputs

Post by Administrator »

PLE does not have array functionality. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have a model that uses an array.

To answer the other questions,
SVK wrote:Question 1 is : How can this be done in Vensim PLE 6.3D (academic use)? Can this be done in 6.3D at all ?
It can't. PLE is very restricted in what it can do, it's aimed at people learning SD. Any in-depth analysis needs PLE+, Pro or DSS.
SVK wrote:Question 2 is : If no, can any other version of Vensim provide this functionality ?
You can create batch files in DSS to easily run 40 experiments. Or run the model via the Vensim DLL (so you could run thousands via a programming language).

It would help if you can upload your model and describe in more detail what you are doing. As I said, array functionality is not even in PLE, so I'm puzzled. Also, if the 40 runs are all say from i = 1 to 40, the sensitivity functionality in PLE+ might do what you need.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
SVK
Vensim version: PLE

Re: Array of variables as inputs

Post by SVK »

Many thanks for the advise.