ignoring :NA: when checking min and max of a variable

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

ignoring :NA: when checking min and max of a variable

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

I use to put a min and a max for every variable im my models trying to use the maximum possible value for the min and the minimum possible value for the max. it is to check the concordance of my mental view and the model and eventual bugs. I use too the :NA: when no value exists or is available.
Is it possible when running the model, when the checking is done to ignore :NA: values. Presently when there is a possibility of :NA: values i am obliged to leave the minimum blank to avoid a warning.

JJ
tomfid
Administrator

Re: ignoring :NA: when checking min and max of a variable

Post by tomfid »

I assume you're referring to the Min and Max fields in the equation editor. It sounds like we should change the behavior with respect to :NA:. Should be easy.
LAUJJL

Post by LAUJJL »

Not chaning the behavior, because I want to see that there is no data available, but I want when putting a minimum value in the equation editor for a variable, that a warning occurs only if the variable gets below that value independantly of eventuals ;NA; value. Otherwise i will be warned everytime that the variable has even only once the :NA: value.

JJ
LAUJJL

Post by LAUJJL »

using the :NA:; you have to modify most of the equations to avoid impossible values to occur and it makes the writing of the equations longuer and error prone. But i can manage that. But if the min warning is not solved, i will be obliged to find another way, eventually replacing the :NA: by 0, and modifyinf some equations too especially averages to ignore this value.

JJ