multi-player network games

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
space56

multi-player network games

Post by space56 »

hey everybody,
probably this topic has already been discussed a thousand times, but i am really desperate meanwhile (5:30 in the morning), i try to create a multi-user network game and fooled now all night around with the modell out of the venapp samples but it only seems to work on one computer. as i try to make venapp write the gin files to a network drive, it seems to get confused. anybody any (simple) ideas?
Pruyn

Post by Pruyn »

I haven't tried it that way, but instead worked my way around it. I use a MySQL database and a simple venapp program.

Each time I forward one step in time, the data-series are read from the database over an ODBC connection and at the end of a step the values are written to the database.

This way it is also possible to replay a game (if it might crash or something).

Hope this helps,

Jeroen
space56

thanx

Post by space56 »

sorry for the late answer, but was busy with so much other stuff. anyway, i made it work the next day, was just a small n' stupid bug in the code plus a weired structure on the server here...
so if u wanna learn about the simple structure sometime;), hit me...
Pruyn

Post by Pruyn »

I'm actually quite content with this solutions. It offers a replay mode and variable time for each game step (longer at the start, shorter towards the end) and most of all, non vensim users are able to adjest the startup situation.
I admit I haven't tried sable as an input program, but MySQL allows me to play over the internet (we will play the game in two different cities).

From what I read, I understood that vensim wasn't capable of all this, but please correct me if I'm wrong
space56

Post by space56 »

replay should also be possible with the normal vensim structure as long as the run is saved somewhere, which it should be. variable game time should neither be a problem i think as the game is in the architecture we are now running restarted every period. so each player makes his decisions, ends his game and sends his decision files to the server, there the game is simulated and the results are send back to the players, which "restart" an old game, namely the one just simulated by the server....