Cumulative Model

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Jinyi

Cumulative Model

Post by Jinyi »

Hi,

I would like to find out if whether Vensim is able to import dataset from Excel??

And how do you actually come up with a cumulative graph for say 4 outputs. Each time a simulation is runned, only 1 of the output will increase by 1. Please advice.

Thanks.
Jinyi

Post by Jinyi »

Oh btw, probably you can help me have a look at my model?? Am pretty bad at this. This simulation's main purpose is to do a count of the 3 outputs Generate I&R (HIGH,LOW) and Bill. The variable that determine those is the %PDv and %NDv. Which you can play with. The rest of the inputs are to be inserted from importing dataset from excel.

The cumulative graph to be shown at the end is the number of cases that falls into either of the output categories by varying the 2 Variables %PDv/%NDv.

Please help...
Attachments
I&R4.mdl
(6.67 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

It depends on what version of Vensim you are using if you want to read data directly from Excel. See http://www.vensim.com/comparison.html for details.

The standard way of working out the cumulative is to put the count into a level.

Its difficult to comment on the model yet as there is no data being fed into it. Feel free to modify and repost.

Tony.
Jinyi

Post by Jinyi »

I'm using the trial version. As my company is trying out to see if this software will be the right one for our simulation purpose.

Do you mean by putting the 3 outputs as level?? and only incrementing it when certain criterias are met?? And how do i show a graph with all the 3 outputs in it?? Please advice. Thanks.
Jinyi

Post by Jinyi »

Regarding the input, i have 1 dataset input into each of the input variables like Day1/2, CONS1/2, etc.

I have changed the outputs to level type. And i see a up-sloping linear graph for the ouput. Is this because of the fixed input, thus the same output causing it to be upslope?? Think it sounds a bit complicated. Maybe you can run the simulation and look at the Bill output. By toggling the PrevIR Cause (LOW) or PrevIR Findings(LOW).

Please advice...thanks a lot.
Attachments
I&R3.mdl
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Have a look at the attached model. This has the cumulative calculations in it.

The model as it stands at the moment is not dynamic, all calculations are identical throughout the simulation as all the inputs are constant and there are no time dependant calculations. This is why you will see a linear increase in the cumulative graphs, if the "bill" variable is "1" at "time = 0", it will also be "1" at "time = 100".

Do you have any time series data to plug into the model?

Tony.

What you need to do is generate a time series for the values of "%PDV" and "%NDV", this should give different values on the output.
Attachments
I&R3a.mdl
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Jinyi

Post by Jinyi »

Thanks for editting my model. But dun really understand what's wrong with my model. care to explain?? cos without the 3 cumulative variables, i'm also able to show the same output.

How do you generate a time series for the 2 values %PDv and %NDv??

And my data are not based on time series...so am not able to do it. i have 1000records in excel form. and each of the records ought to fall into one of the outpus. For this simulation, i hope to acheive the no. of records falling into the different categories, by varying PDv and NDv. Please advice...thanks.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

>> But dun really understand what's wrong with my model. care to explain??
There is nothing wrong with it, what the model calculates could have been done in Excel faster as there is no variation over time in any of the variables (I hope this makes sense).

>> And my data are not based on time series...so am not able to do it. i have
>> 1000records in excel form. and each of the records ought to fall into one of the
>> outpus. For this simulation, i hope to acheive the no. of records falling into the
>> different categories, by varying PDv and NDv.

Again, this is probably much easier to do in Excel rather than Vensim. It can be done by inputting the records and having the model calculate once for each record (so the model would need at least 1000 calculations). I would use Excel though.

If you can provide some data to feed the model (100 values rather than the 1000), I will demonstrate.

Tony.
Jinyi

Post by Jinyi »

Don't have the correct records to input. As the data is still being worked on. But the total number of records in each of the outputs, is determined by the %PDv and %NDv range. The model that i posted has fixed range. This model attached is where the 2 variables can be varied. So is there a way where a time series with the 2 variables changes thus showing the cumulative graph of each of the output?? Hope you get my point. =)
Attachments
I&R4.mdl
(6.74 KiB) Downloaded 311 times