Finding Area under a Curve: Is it possible? Please help me.

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
ram

Finding Area under a Curve: Is it possible? Please help me.

Post by ram »

Hello Everybody,

I want to find the “Area under a Curve” for a curve which is NOT a Lookup Table. Please take a look at the attached word document in which you can find the pictures of the screen shots of the Equation Editor Dialog box and the actual Curve. In the equation editor, you can find the details of the curve.

I want to find the area bounded by this curve. Could anybody please suggest me if there is a way to find this type of area?

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, feedback and advice.

With best regards,
-Ram.
Attachments
FGI-Equation and Graph.doc
(53.5 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

area under curve

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

joined a model that uses a sort of Kutta Runge technic of integration, which is a better approximation then the Euler one, where you would take current level instead of (current level + previous level) / 2.
Regards.
J.J. Laublé
Attachments
area_under_curve.mdl
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Hi Ram,

The area under the curve is just the integral over the x-axis for the curve. As you have created a time graph thus suggests you are looking for the area underneath "finished goods inventory" over the course of the simulation. In this case this area would have as its units of measure "Units * Month" and does not have any meaning I can think of. However, to get it you would add the variable

Area = INTEG(Finished Goods Inventory,0)

Another way of saying this is that the INTEG function computes the area underneath a curve for positive inputs.

I hope that is helpful.

Bob eberlein
ram

Thank you Mr. J.J. Laublé

Post by ram »

Hello Mr. J.J. Laublé ,

Thank you very much for your advice and the model you have attached. I learnt something new from it.

With best regards,
-Ram.

[Edited on 4-30-2005 by ram]
ram

Thank you very much Mr. Bob

Post by ram »

Hello Mr. Bob,

Thank you very much for your advice. It was very useful that I fugured out what I was looking for.

Once again, Thank you very much for all your help and time.

With best regards,
-Ram.