can't print to pdf (mac)

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
maxkleemann

can't print to pdf (mac)

Post by maxkleemann »

I use Vensim PLE for Mac. When I hit the print icon I cannot select a printer (it's dimmed, see attached screen shot). When I just hit ok, the usual mac print options dialog (where you could choose print to pdf in the lower left corner) does not show up but it just prints it to the default printer without further warning. I would very much like to print to pdf because that would allow for a decent output (vector graphics I assume).
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-22 at 1.25.49 PM.pdf
(53.88 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Vensim will print to the default printer - you can select the pdf outlet for this. You can also use Edit>Copy then open up Preview and use save as to save to a pdf file.
kleemax
Vensim version: PRO

Re: can't print to pdf (mac)

Post by kleemax »

I have the same problem on the current version of Vensim DSS. The problems are that
a) copy and paste into preview does not work (graphs in my dashboard view are not pasted in the correct locations but instead are all on top of each other) and
b) it's not possible to select pdf as a printer in system preferences because

pdf is normally selectable in the printer dialogue instead which is not available in Vensim. It would be very helpful if that dialogue could be made available in the next update of Vensim
rob_n
Vensim version: DSS

Post by rob_n »

Using Vensim 8.2.1 on Mac (DSS and PLE), and having the same issue. File > Print Preferences dialog shows *no* printers from which to select, not even a print-to-pdf options. Is this a Mac setting thing, telling Mac OS which applications can access the printer?
rob_n
Vensim version: DSS

Post by rob_n »

Follow-up: the guidance from 2010 for Mac appears still to work (*). Select portions of a CLD, Edit > Copy. Open Preview App, then File > New from Clipboard will "paste" what was on the clipboard. Preview allows save to pdf. This even works for a single custom graph.

(*) This appears not to work for two or more custom graphs.