Can Vensim work with 64 Bit Excel?

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
gwr
Vensim version: DSS

Can Vensim work with 64 Bit Excel?

Post by gwr »

I would like to install Windows Office 64 Bit in order to avoid the many compatibility errors popping up when switching between 32 Bit and 64 Bit applications and in order to make use of the 'luxuious amount of RAM' my machine has.

There remains of course a critical question: Will I risk Vensim not being able to connect to Excel when Excel is a 64 Bit application?

Please explain possible issues in more detail if there are any.

Kind regards,

Guido
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Can Vensim work with 64 Bit Excel?

Post by Administrator »

I'm not sure.

A quick search indicates that DDE connections are ok between 32/64 bit processes, so GET XLS DATA etc should be ok if Tools->Settings->GET XLS Protocol is set to DDE.

GET DIRECT functions should work as these read the files on the drive (so it makes no difference what version of Excel is being used).

It looks like OLE does not work though between 32/64 bit processes.

I'll try and set up a virtual machine within the next few days to test this (it will take me a while to get everything up and running).

Tony.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

The other open question is whether you can call the (32 bit) dll from a VB script in a 64 bit app. Some 32/64 mixed environments don't work - for example, you can't call a 32 bit JNI dll from a 64 bit virtual machine in Java.

Tom
gwr
Vensim version: DSS

Post by gwr »

Thank you both, Tony and Tom, for taking your time to get some answers up. I am happy to find that this is a legitimate question and it should probably address other people's needs, too. More so as we should expect to see more 64 Bit applications out there.

As far as running the 32 Bit DLL from VBA I am not sure but I am not using Excel for more advanced tasks any more since I have by now decided to completely switch to Mathematica 8 which - as I have posted here - does not have any problems to connect to a 32 Bit dll and as of the current version 8 is also able to produce C code if needed. Excel just makes for a nice and very convenient data repository as it is running most everywhere and for very basic stuff that can be done quickly ;-)

Kind regards,

Guido