Help - Mass Balance Checks

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
cunninghamwb
Vensim version: PLE

Help - Mass Balance Checks

Post by cunninghamwb »

Hi there,

I have created a mass balance check to try and verify my model - however the checksum variable is not 0. Is this a problem with my model (i.e. have I incorrectly used a growth rate or smooth function somewhere) or am I doing the mass balance check wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have attached the model for reference - the views at the bottom show the mass balance check.

Thanks!
Last edited by cunninghamwb on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Help - Mass Balance Checks

Post by Administrator »

What is the mass balance parameter called? It's not obvious to me, I cannot find it in the model.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
cunninghamwb
Vensim version: PLE

Post by cunninghamwb »

I have managed to work it out but thank you for the rapid response. I was doing a verification check to see whether there were any "leaks" in the system. It looked like there were but this was only because I am using such large numbers in my system.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

Doing a mass balance check with smooths or delays, generates hidden levels that makes the check problematic.

In this case I would change the smooth equation into a simple level (see the help for smooth). It will be simpler to make the check.

You can too try to see the macro variables generated by the smooth as explained in the help, but when I tried to visualize the macro variables, there was nothing on the screen.

Regards.

jj