Time-Step Query

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
vensimuser82939
Vensim version: PLE

Time-Step Query

Post by vensimuser82939 »

Hi,

I have a stock and flow diagram. I have an inflow in terms of calls/month which flows into a stock (calls waiting to be responded to) in unit terms of 'calls'. In order for unitary equalisation I would like to have the stock in terms of month. Potentially looking at how to clear the backlog.
Last edited by vensimuser82939 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Time-Step Query

Post by tomfid »

I think you want to leave the stock units alone, and handle it a bit differently. Something like:

Overdue calls = INTEG( ... ) ~ calls
Desired call rate = new call arrival rate + overdue calls/time to catch up ~ calls/month
Desired staff = Desired call rate / Productivity ~ people
Productivity = ... ~ calls/person/month
Time to catch up = ... ~ month ~ represents the normal time over which the call backlog will be cleared
vensimuser82939

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply - really helpful this is in relationship to the thread "hire fire policy model query". One question I have is in regards to the "Time to catch up". What would you recommend? They currently have 25 staff each capable of completing 120 calls a month. The model starts with 3,000 calls flowing in so the backlog will be the responsibility of new staff only.

The model runs for 48 months. Is this "Time to Catch Up" something a manager could determine - eg. how urgent does he want the backlog removed?
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

vensimuser82939 wrote:The model runs for 48 months. Is this "Time to Catch Up" something a manager could determine - eg. how urgent does he want the backlog removed?
Correct. If the manager wants all service requests cleared immediately, then obviously the time to remove the backlog needs to be short (which means more staff and more costs).
vensimuser82939 wrote:so the backlog will be the responsibility of new staff only
I'd be surprised if any company placed my service request into a backlog and recruited some staff to deal with it. Why not just call again and again to try and get through to someone who would service the call immediately?
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
vensimuser82939

Hi, this relates to the other recent post. It surrounds service requests so their request for support is overdue. I understand it's sometimes beneficial to 'SMOOTH' inflows when calculating things such as the desired call rate / desired staff rate. Would you recommend I smoothed the inflowing new calls/requests for support over a couple of months?
Administrator wrote:
vensimuser82939 wrote:The model runs for 48 months. Is this "Time to Catch Up" something a manager could determine - eg. how urgent does he want the backlog removed?
Correct. If the manager wants all service requests cleared immediately, then obviously the time to remove the backlog needs to be short (which means more staff and more costs).
vensimuser82939 wrote:so the backlog will be the responsibility of new staff only
I'd be surprised if any company placed my service request into a backlog and recruited some staff to deal with it. Why not just call again and again to try and get through to someone who would service the call immediately?
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

vensimuser82939 wrote:Would you recommend I smoothed the inflowing new calls/requests for support over a couple of months?
I think that is probably what I would do.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559