How to change from tex mode to sketc

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
foodsim
Vensim version: DSS

How to change from tex mode to sketc

Post by foodsim »

Dear Colleaugues,
using the excellent capacities of Vensim, I build a big model. It will be much more simpler to write it in text mode, but I have experienced, that the variables and equations, which I have written (declared) in text mode, do not appear in skech model, after clicking on as sketch command. What should I do?
Excuse-me pls. if I have asked an evidence!
tomfid
Administrator

Re: How to change from tex mode to sketc

Post by tomfid »

If you have a working text model, all the variables are there, but they won't appear on the sketch until you place them. That's actually a reasonably quick process if you use the Sketch Varlist and toolbar tools for adding existing variables. See:
https://www.vensim.com/documentation/22970.htm
To turn on the varlist, check the Show Variable List box in Tools>Options>Sketch:
https://www.vensim.com/documentation/in ... sketch.htm
LAUJJL

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

Can you explain why you find much simpler to write models directly in text mode?

Apparently you do not know Vensim, otherwise you would have found by yourself how to place variables on the sketch. Maybe you are used to another tool and have already the equations written
having just to translate the equations from one tool to the other?

Otherwise I do not see the utility of building a model directly in text mode.

Is there anybody in the forum, working this way?

Another remark. If you have not a strong experience in building simulation models, you won't get any serious outcome from a 'big' model without having built first smaller models from the problem.

Regards.

JJ
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I occasionally work in text mode for special circumstances - search & replace is convenient, for example - but I almost never build a model as text. Two exceptions:
- we occasionally generate repetitive equations in Excel or a text processor of some king
- translating models from DYNAMO or other non-graphical languages is easy if you first create the equations, then the diagram

Tom
foodsim

Post by foodsim »

Dear Collegues!
It works perfectly!
Thank you very much for your kind help!