Can Vensim be used to undertake dependency modelling?

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
matt_georges
Vensim version: PRO

Can Vensim be used to undertake dependency modelling?

Post by matt_georges »

Hi,

I'm new to Vensim and am having a few problems building the following model. Basically, I want to map the flow of actions through my organisation so that I can see how different teams contribute to a particular organisational outcome. As part of that I'd like to assign probabilities to the outputs from each team leading to their intended outcome, then use these to calculate the total probability of an overall organisational outcome occurring. So, I'm not sure whether this should be called decision tree analysis or dependency modelling or something else entirely, but either way I really can't see whether Vensim can do this and if so how. Any help very much appreciated.
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Can Vensim be used to undertake dependency modelling?

Post by tomfid »

If it's something like a decision tree, you can model it in Vensim. If it's static (no stocks and flows) you might not be using the full power of the tool, but sometimes that doesn't matter - you're still way ahead of something like a spreadsheet. I'm sure there are dedicated tools for decision trees that would be more convenient. On the other hand, static models of any complex system are often hopelessly wrong.

Can you give an example of the kind of outcome and inputs you're interested in modeling?