Vensim PLE and .mdl files corrupting

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
AHP
Vensim version: PLE

Vensim PLE and .mdl files corrupting

Post by AHP »

Hi,

I recently started using Vensim PLE to produce system and stock/flow diagrams. I have encountered a repeated issue with the diagram file corrupting after i save and close Vensim PLE. I am working on 2 machines (PC and Mac) so opening a .mdl file on both OS systems.

The flow of actions is as follows:
1 I work/produce the diagram
2 Save and close
3 [time passes]
4 I re-open vensim but the file is now corrupted (it has bits missing, arrows, stock boxes and even portions of flow components)

This has now happened twice, requiring me to rework the diagram. That's obviously frustrating and presumably not what's intended!

As I mentioned, I am working on 2 machines, a desktop windows 10 system and an OS X 10.10.5 iMac air. I am also using MS one drive to transfer the file and work on it on each machine. I imagine these could be chasing some issues, but I'd like some advice on whether this sort of issue has appeared before.

Thanks
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Vensim PLE and .mdl files corrupting

Post by Administrator »

You mention using OneDrive, are you working on the file while it is stored in a synced folder or copying it from a non-synced location to OneDrive?

If the former, that's almost certainly the problem. OneDrive will lock the file which prevents it being saved properly.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Vensim PLE and .mdl files corrupting

Post by tomfid »

If that's the case, always doing a "Save As" with an incremented version number would probably work. OneDrive can't screw up the sync of a file that doesn't exist yet.