Data import using .dat file

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
mrunal093
Vensim version: PLE+

Data import using .dat file

Post by mrunal093 »

Hi,
I am trying to import data across time for optfertfromtext variable in the 01_yield view. However, I am getting floating point error. I have attached my .mdl and corresponding .vdf file. Could you help me understand how to solve this issue?

Best,
Mrunal
Attachments
Data10.vdf
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
nov22nd evening run3.mdl
(150.28 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Data import using .dat file

Post by tomfid »

You're missing a lot of data. Be sure you have warnings enabled (Tools>Options>Settings>Warnings:Display).

Code: Select all

WARNING:     No data found for -Consumption animal products- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -Country area- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -energy share of maize on total diet- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -export maize- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -Floor Price NAMBOARD and Food Reserve Agency Real- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -import maize- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -Inland water- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -Nitrogen Fertilizer Price REAL data- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -optfertfromtext- in the exogenous data files.    
WARNING:     No data found for -Organic Matter from Animals- in the exogenous data files.    
... similar warnings suppressed for additional variables
ERROR:       Floating point error computing - effect of nitrogen on yield - at time = 1984.000000.    
Trying to save the results anyway
I think the immediate problem is that you have the Data Source field set to use "data.vdf" rather than "data10.vdf". (See the Simulation Control dialog, Advanced tab.)

After fixing that, I still get an FP error:

Code: Select all

ERROR:       Floating point error computing - effect of supply and demand on producer price - at time = 1986.312500.    
Trying to save the results anyway
However, that's an ordinary model error, because the demand-supply balance goes negative, and is raised to a negative power (price elasticity).