Using different sets of priorities with ALLOCATE AVAILABLE

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
cortney
Vensim version: PRO

Using different sets of priorities with ALLOCATE AVAILABLE

Post by cortney »

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have various sets of priorities that are used under different criteria while using the ALLOCATE AVAILABLE function.

For example:
I have my declining available supply, I have my vector of demands by sector and I have TWO vectors of priorities by sector; The first set of priorities is for when available supply is still above a critical threshold point and the second set of priorities is for when available supply falls below this critical threshold point.

I believe I have set up this described structure by altering the ALLOCATE AVAIALABLE.mdl example provided in the Vensim Help Manual.
I have added this file below. (Currently set so both priority vectors are identical)

However, when I change one of the priority vectors to have different values, this of course creates a step-wise jump to the new deliveries/shipments to each sector as the priorities have suddenly and immediate changed - once the given threshold value for total available supply is reached.

Can you think of a way to have this shift in priorities occurs gradually so it slowly approaches these new priorities instead of suddenly making this jump to new values of deliveries but instead a smoother transition.

Please let me know if this is unclear. I hope I am following protocol.

Thanks for your time and help.
Attachments
ALLOCATE AVAILABLE_2stages.mdl
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Using different sets of priorities with ALLOCATE AVAILABLE

Post by Administrator »

cortney wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:09 amHowever, when I change one of the priority vectors to have different values, this of course creates a step-wise jump to the new deliveries/shipments to each sector as the priorities have suddenly and immediate changed - once the given threshold value for total available supply is reached.

Can you think of a way to have this shift in priorities occurs gradually so it slowly approaches these new priorities instead of suddenly making this jump to new values of deliveries but instead a smoother transition.
You could use a smooth function on "deliveries" to get rid of the jump. The longer time you smooth over, the longer it takes to make the jump.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
cortney
Vensim version: PRO

Re: Using different sets of priorities with ALLOCATE AVAILABLE

Post by cortney »

That did the trick!

Thank you very much!