Help with Master thesis: cocoa bean supply chain

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
sasadijafri
Vensim version: PLE

Help with Master thesis: cocoa bean supply chain

Post by sasadijafri »

Dear members,

I am new to system dynamics and hence new to using Vensim PLE, but it was needed to create the model for my thesis and I find myself in need of help.

Summary of requirement:
When cocoa beans are loaded onto a ship inside containers, it takes them 30 days (for this model) to reach their destination. During their journey, they undergo change in their quality and appearance due to a number of factors like exposure to water (condensation due to changing external temperature), change in humidity, insect infestation, postfermatation etc. I wish to model this scenario in order to understand which factor contributes to the max change.

My main problem is forming equations to link all the variables together as there are so many different types of values (percentages, temperature etc.) although I have a strong feeling I might have gotten some of the basic modelling wrong as well.

Please find the file attached. I'll be extremely grateful to whoever can help with this.

Best Regards,
Attachments
full model 2.mdl
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Help with Master thesis: cocoa bean supply chain

Post by Administrator »

I'd suggest you start by adding units to all the parameters in your model. It helps to know what things are measured in, and this also helps when trying to construct equations.

The model does not simulate at the moment, what is "ontrue" supposed to mean?
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
sasadijafri
Vensim version: PLE

Re: Help with Master thesis: cocoa bean supply chain

Post by sasadijafri »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. It shows 'ontrue' value when I use the IF THEN ELSE function.