Quality Control Question

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Alisib
Vensim version: PLE

Quality Control Question

Post by Alisib »

Hi everyone,
I have a question, when we want to model a production line and the parts are gathered in work in process stock, how can they be inspected whether their quality are accepted or not? by just "if then else" or something else?
Suppose there is a quality level
thx
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Quality Control Question

Post by tomfid »

You can use if-then-else logic, but that's more sensible in a discrete event simulation than in a typical strategic SD model. Specifically, as soon as your stock contains more than one part at a time, you can't really use a true-false choice to decide which ones are defective.

More likely, you'll have something like distinct outflows of acceptable and defective parts, with a variable defect rate determining the proportion that take each path.

It's hard to say more without knowing more about the problem.
Alisib

Post by Alisib »

yes tomfid, this is exactly the problem that Ive had, I do not want to make it discrete as you said, that is fo Arena and discrete event simulation,
let me put it this way there is something like Aging chain that parts are flowing in the production line i.e designing pre production and etc. in one stage they should be checked (quality control) I want to say that by passing time by learning in the factory the rejection rate will be reducing and so on.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

This model implements defect reduction:
http://metasd.com/2017/11/dynamics-initiative-success/
However, it doesn't have inventories.

For that, you might take a look at how the rework cycle is implemented in a project model:
https://www.vensim.com/documentation/mgu03.htm
Alisib

Post by Alisib »

thx
They were really really helpful
Best wishes