Model crashing Vensim 8.06 DSS 64-bit

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
drw

Model crashing Vensim 8.06 DSS 64-bit

Post by drw »

Hi folks,

We are looking at potentially moving to 64-bit platform using Vensim (DSS v8.06) in conjuction with 64-bit versions of Win 10 and office 2016. One of our rather large and complicated energy models (which unfortunately I cannot post), that works fine in a 32 bit environment (Vensim DSS 7.2 with win 8.1 Enterprise) will only partially run before crashing the Vensim application. We typically simulate annually from 1971 to 2050 in the model, but in the 64-bit version will only simulate as far as 1976 before the application closes unexpectedly. In terms of memory, it only seemed to get up to around 600 MB of usage on a machine with 16 GB RAM (in the 32-bit machine the max seemed to be around 500MB). I have tried the model as both package and binary formats (VPMX, VMFX) and both crash Vensim when running. The model also reads in a lot of data from Excel (64-bit Office 2016) through GET XLS functions - though I assume this is likely ok if the model is partially simulating then it will have already successfully read in the required data from Excel prior to getting to the simulation part. I have also run a test using different starting points (e.g. from 1976, 2000, 2017) and these would run for 5 consecutive years and then crash.

There is no obvious indication as to what is the cause and I was wondering if perhaps there are any logs that get written out to try and debug the issue? Grateful for any suggestions as to how to proceed with debugging from here.

Many thanks,
Dave
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Model crashing Vensim 8.06 DSS 64-bit

Post by Administrator »

Can you email us regarding this please?
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
drw

Re: Model crashing Vensim 8.06 DSS 64-bit

Post by drw »

I have just found out that one of my colleagues has already been in touch with you separately and that they believe they have identified the issue. It appeared to be linked the function DELAY MATERIAL (input, delay time, initial value, missval). If the delay time is >5 then it seemed to crash the 64 bit version (at least in our model).

Thanks
Dave