error

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Robert Strijers

error

Post by Robert Strijers »

I use Vensim DSS version 4, OS: Win ME

when load information from Excel I get the following error

Range (or named range) R1C4:R1C253 in file PUB Input.xls (sheet Vensim-Variabelen) incorrect or noncontiguous.
ERROR: Failed to make live links to data - aborting simulation.
ERROR: Unable to correctly load in exogenous values - aborting.

I reinstalled the software but that did not help.

I am a employee of IBM, former PwC, and the software I use is a PwC licence, could that couse trouble?

The link used to work properly, nothing changed as far as I know.

Regards, Robert
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

This can be caused by one or two things. The most obvious one that springs to mind is that maybe the operating system changed from English to another lanuage recently? In this case, the R1C1 convention that Vensim uses may not be appropriate (as they might not be called Rows or Columns). If this is the case, look in Vensim, go to Tools->Options->Settings, near the top right of the dialog there is an Excel R1C1 settings box. Change these to what ever letters are needed.

Can you let me know if this is the solution?

Tony.
Wilson
Administrator

Post by Wilson »

Another possible cause:

I have noticed that there appears to be a limit of 240 columns worth of data when I try to use the live DDE link using GET XLS DATA. If I try to use the full 256 columns possible in Excel I get an error message very similar to yours.
Robert Strijers

answer to R1C1 error

Post by Robert Strijers »

Thank you both for your answers.
I changed C into K(olom) (R1C1 now is R1K1) and the Get XLS data funtion works!

Originally posted by Administrator
This can be caused by one or two things. The most obvious one that springs to mind is that maybe the operating system changed from English to another lanuage recently? In this case, the R1C1 convention that Vensim uses may not be appropriate (as they might not be called Rows or Columns). If this is the case, look in Vensim, go to Tools->Options->Settings, near the top right of the dialog there is an Excel R1C1 settings box. Change these to what ever letters are needed.

Can you let me know if this is the solution?

Tony.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Good that it is fixed. It is actually a common error, but once you know about it, very easy to fix.

Tony.