The question aboujt time step and units for Time

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
kong17
Vensim version: PRO

The question aboujt time step and units for Time

Post by kong17 »

Hi, everyone

Maybe the question is simple, but I am completely baffled into it.
I want to observe the hourly price of electricity. And calculate the profit for a year.
If the units for time is set to year and the time step is set to hour (1/8760). when the time boundaries are slightly longer, the software may crash. when displaying the results, it need to be forced to exit.
But if I set the units for time to week, then the time step is 1/(7*24). When calculating the profit for one year, I don't know how to distinguish the annual profit after the first year. The first year is from t0-t52, second year is from t53-t105.

In another word, when the hourly product price and the annual profit want to be observed, how to set the time step and unit for time is reasonable

Thank you for your attention.
tomfid
Administrator

Re: The question aboujt time step and units for Time

Post by tomfid »

Are you using an older version? Some of the output tools may crash with long time series, but not in the latest.

I would recommend running the model with a time step of 1 hour, then aggregating profits up to a year by taking a moving average. You can create a time base for years, or use the calendar settings if you want the time axis labeled in years.