Subscript Selection and loaded VDFX resetting on model re-open

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
OwainG66
Vensim version: DSS

Subscript Selection and loaded VDFX resetting on model re-open

Post by OwainG66 »

Hi, I have the latest version of Vensim running on a Windows 10 laptop and have the following mildly irritating issue with just one model;

Whenever I close Vensim and then re-open, the loaded VDFX list is empty and all subscript selections have defaulted to the first element in each range. This also happens without closing Vensim if I run the model from a CMD script.

The model is saved in VMFX format. In MDL format, everything is fine.

Of course, a work-around is to stick with the MDL format but I have 20 CMD scripts to process on a regular basis and MDL models need to recompile each time when being run from CMD while VMFX models do not.

Other VMFX version models I have DO NOT show this behaviour. This leads me to believe that I have done something while investigating a new feature called "Model Settings" in 8.2.1 release.

Any thoughts on how to recover the situation?

Cheers

Owain
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Subscript Selection and loaded VDFX resetting on model re-open

Post by Administrator »

Can you email the model to us?

Also check that you are not storing the settings in a separate file (although that should not matter).

Also, CMD scripts when run from Vensim can load MDL files.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Administrator wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:34 pm Also, CMD scripts when run from Vensim can load MDL files.
I think the compile time is the problem here.

Definitely check Model>Settings>File Format>Store settings in separate file. It should work, but if the settings are lost there could be a loose end in loading from scripts. Also, if you keep settings in a separate file, and you move the mdl to another location, the settings obviously won't come along unless you explicitly include them.
OwainG66

Post by OwainG66 »

Administrator wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:34 pm Can you email the model to us?

Also check that you are not storing the settings in a separate file (although that should not matter).

Also, CMD scripts when run from Vensim can load MDL files.
Sorry, can't share the model externally.

I was storing settings in a seperate file during my investigation of the new feature and then deleted the mdls file (after unchecking the box to store user specific setings) because I thought it was causing the problem, probably just messed the whole thing up somehow. I can try to create a test model and replicate the behaviour I suppose and, if successfull, forward it. Or at least investigate a bit further with another model and see if I can reproduce the steps necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll do some more testing and get back with anything I can uncover.

Cheers
OwainG66

Post by OwainG66 »

tomfid wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:35 pm
I think the compile time is the problem here.
Yes indeed, although not so much as to make it that much of a problem, I just wanted to understand what, if anything, I had done to cause it to behave the way it does.
tomfid wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:35 pm Definitely check Model>Settings>File Format>Store settings in separate file. It should work, but if the settings are lost there could be a loose end in loading from scripts. Also, if you keep settings in a separate file, and you move the mdl to another location, the settings obviously won't come along unless you explicitly include them.
I may have deleted the mdls file absent-mindedly while the check box was still active, and I've definitely moved the model recently (but the problem predates the move). I can test both these possibilities and post back here if I find anything interesting.

Cheers Tom