Bug Report in V9.1.1: Table tool not showing Variable

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
kleemax
Vensim version: PRO

Bug Report in V9.1.1: Table tool not showing Variable

Post by kleemax »

The table tool in Vensim 9.1.1 does not show any variable that is clicked. It only shows the name of the run and then all values are given out as being zero. See attachment. Note that a run is loaded and I have tried several variables. I wonder if others have the same problem.
Attachments
Screenshot Bug 9.1.1 Table tool.png
Screenshot Bug 9.1.1 Table tool.png (68.89 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Bug Report in V9.1.1: Table tool not showing Variable

Post by tomfid »

I see that too. Must be very recent because it wasn't in the 9.1 release candidates.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Not so fast, actually. I was stupidly looking at a table for a variable containing real 0s.

In fact it's working fine for me.
table.png
table.png (153.38 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
I think the problem is not the table itself, but the selection. It appears that "D inflation index" may be the intended target, but the results shown are for just "D". When this happens, is the name of the workbench variable in the title bar or status bar correct before you invoke the tool?
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

The name of the variable is corretly displayed in the title bar of the vensim window and in the title bar of the table window, but not in the row of the table itself. I have now created a new model and then the problem does not appear. Hence, there must be a something in the model that we are working with, that is triggering the problem. It's a very large model, and its a model that is old (created with long gone vensim versions). But the problem does not appear when using 9.0.0. Hence the same trigger is not triggering anything in 9.0.0. So there must be some change from 9.0.0 to 9.1.1 that makes it vulnerable to whatever triggers the issue. I wish I could send you the model, but due to intellectual property policy of our company, I can't.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

There really is not a lot we can do without the model to test with.

Is the model in binary format? What happens if you try saving as a MDL format model? You can also try a reform/clean in case things have been corrupted in the model.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Administrator wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 am Is the model in binary format? What happens if you try saving as a MDL format model? You can also try a reform/clean in case things have been corrupted in the model.
Presumably this is the same model as the other thread, which needs to be in vmfx format to avoid repeat compilation and BASED problems. However, a Reform & Clean can't help, especially if it's old.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

kleemax wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:54 am (created with long gone vensim versions)
Old Vensim is never really gone! Anyway, this shouldn't matter once the model is re-saved in a recent version.

I'm still puzzled that the table is showing only "D". Does a variable or subscript called "D" exist? How is the workbench selection being made - click on diagram, in a table or graph legend, or in the variable list in the control panel?
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

I have now noticed that the issue also exists in the graph tool (see attachment). Interestingly here, the variable name is neither correctly displayed in the title bar of the window nor in the title of the graph, which is what you had asked for regarding the table tool. Does this give you any clues? I've tried reform and clean, to no avail.
Attachments
Bug graph tool.png
Bug graph tool.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

I have tried saving as vmfx (after doing reform and clean), to no avail.
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

tomfid wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:27 pm
kleemax wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:54 am (created with long gone vensim versions)
I'm still puzzled that the table is showing only "D". Does a variable or subscript called "D" exist? How is the workbench selection being made - click on diagram, in a table or graph legend, or in the variable list in the control panel?
No, but actually most variables in the model start with "D_", e.g. D_VFT_hdv_Purchased_New_HDV_by_GVWxDRT. That's because this is the model for Germany (D). We have other models for Europe for example, which would contain vars with other starting letters.
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

Ok, here's a clue that could help us figure out what the problem is: The problem disappears when I turn off "show_underbar" in the settings! So it is likely somthing related to the underbar feature. Both graph tool and table tool work in this case.

The problem is that we can't do that because we have the model in an svn repository and in order to use the compare feature all models need to be saved with underbars and if "show_underbar" is turned off, the next save leads to the model being saved without underbars.

Behavior is independent as to whether vmfx vs. mdl format is used.
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

kleemax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:39 am Ok, here's a clue that could help us figure out what the problem is: The problem disappears when I turn off "show_underbar" in the settings! So it is likely somthing related to the underbar feature. Both graph tool and table tool work in this case.

The problem is that we can't do that because we have the model in an svn repository and in order to use the compare feature all models need to be saved with underbars and if "show_underbar" is turned off, the next save leads to the model being saved without underbars.

Behavior is independent as to whether vmfx vs. mdl format is used.
This could indicate that Vensim 9.1.1 mistakenly interprets an underbar right after the first letter of a variable name as the end of the variable name, whereas Vensim interprets a space correctly when its running with underbars turned-off.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Ok, this is progress. I'm not seeing this specific behavior in the 9.2 release candidate, but I am seeing some idiosyncrasies in the treatment of underbars, so it's possible this is related. Will investigate further.
kleemax

Post by kleemax »

Seems to be resolved in 9.2.1. Thanks a lot!