RA position available

Jody House

RA position available

Postby Jody House » Wed Sep 29, 1999 12:24 pm

Research Assistant position available I am looking for a full-time doctoral student to work with me and two researchers at MIT on a 3 year NSF funded project. The students research will be concentrated in the area of genetic algorithms/programs and system dynamics models. An abstract is given at the end of this note. As this project is sponsored by several companies: GM, HP, Eastman Chemical, PriceWaterhouse Coopers, Arthur Anderson, and Pugh Roberts -- the student will also have the opportunity to travel to collect data at these organizations. Ideally, I would like to work with a student that has experience with and is at ease with Java and/or Matlab programming. If you are interested, please email a copy of your resume to me and let me know if you have experience in Java, Matlab, genetic algorithms, genetic programs, knowledge elicitation, or simulation. Thank you, Jody House Oregon Graduate Institute jhouse@ece.ogi.edu Project Summary The long-term objective of our ongoing research is to explicate principles that govern evolution within an organization. On a more practical side, we hope to provide managers with a set of rules or guidelines that will permit their companies to evolve more rapidly in desirable directions. These rules might deal with the appropriate number of business units, promotion policies, or team-based decision making, among other organizational characteristics. Our first-phase goal is to perform evolutionary audits- that is, to collect data on the evolutionary potential of several partner companies. The evolutionary audits will aid in the development of a computer simulation model of organizational evolution (phase II). The data we collect and the model that we build will form a foundation for in-depth explorations of the question: How can managers create an organization that will evolve quickly in the direction they desire? (Phase III). Partner companies will be involved in all three phases. Our partners include PriceWaterhouse Coopers, Arthur Andersen, Pugh Roberts Associates, Eastman Chemicals, and General Motors. We selected these particular companies for their interest in this work, their existing expertise in one of the underlying methodologies (system dynamics), and certain organizational characteristics (discussed below) which make them particularly good subjects for studying organizational evolution.

Return to “1999”