Looking for a Reference about SMART

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
Jurgen Hemme

Post by Jurgen Hemme »

Hi,
I came across a reference:
Gardiner, P.C., and Ford, A., 1980, Which policy run is best and who says so? Systems Dynamics, North Holland Publishing co. pp 241-257.
It says that the authors merged system dynamic techniques with SMART.
I was wondering whether someone can give me either more details on the reference or on SMART.

Many thanks
Jürgen

Dipl. Ing. Jürgen Hemme
Research Fellow
Sheffield Hallam University
School of Engineering
Room 4L30

Pond Street
Sheffield
S1 1WB
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0)114 2253091
Fax: +44 (0)114 2253433
e-mail: j.hemme@shu.ac.uk
engjuh@amazon.shu.ac.uk
Andy Ford

Post by Andy Ford »

This is Andy Ford responding to Jurgen Hemmes question about merging System Dynamics with "SMART."

SMART stands for "Simple Multi-Attribute Rating Technique." Its a way of "keeping score" on the simulation results based on the goals specified by each user and each users standards of performance. SMART is one of various approaches to MAUM, Multi-Attribute Utility Measurement.

Peter Gardiner did his doctoral research on the usefulness of SMART, and Peter and I worked together to combine SMART with system dynamics. We were looking at "boom town" conditions in the American West in the late 1970s. The 1980 paper was published in the "TIMS Studies in the Management Sciences," North Holland, Agusto Legasto, James Lyneis and Jay Forrester, editors.

Andy Ford
Program in Environmental Science and Regional Planning
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4430
USA

Phone: 509 335 7846
Email: FordA@mail.wsu.edu