Workforce Planning

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
Nadya Peeva napeeva yahoo.com

Workforce Planning

Post by Nadya Peeva napeeva yahoo.com »

Posted by Nadya Peeva <napeeva@yahoo.com>
I am interested in any work that might have been done applying SD to workforce planning and modeling. I did search the listserv archives with little success except for a post on using SD for personnel planning by the Australian Defense Force which was quite helpful. I also have a copy of a paper titled Building a Knowledge-Based
Strategy: A System Dynamics Model for Allocating Value Adding Capacity which was a real find as I'm interested in the topic specifically as it relates to professional services organizations. I'd be helpful to see the actual model behind it. If anyone can point me to other sources/papers/models, that'd be greatly appreciated!

Nadya
posting date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Martin Paul_M profitfoundat

Workforce Planning

Post by Paul Martin Paul_M profitfoundat »

Posted by Paul Martin <Paul_M@profitfoundation.com.au>
Geoff McDonnell has done extensive workforce modelling of the Australian pharmacy workforce.

Posted by Paul Martin <Paul_M@profitfoundation.com.au>
posting date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:16:14 +1000
Nadya Peeva napeeva yahoo.com

Workforce Planning

Post by Nadya Peeva napeeva yahoo.com »

A few of you have asked for a copy of the paper I referred to in my original message. Here's the link...

http://www.sveiby.com/articles/sdmodelkstrategy.pdf

posting date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:01:54 -0700 (PDT)
Stephan Magnus stephan.magnus cl

Workforce Planning

Post by Stephan Magnus stephan.magnus cl »

Posted by ""Stephan Magnus"" <stephan.magnus@clix.pt>

Hello!

We´ve done SD-Work on a model to show the effect of different approaches of training to workforce productivity. The results were e.g. that ""learning-on-the-job"" or ""mentor-systems"" can have profound negative implications for productivity especially in growth cycles. Else we optimized sales organisations using small SD-modells.

Stephan Magnus
High Performance Solutions GmbH

Office Portugal: Sitio Pincho, 8600-090 Bensafrim
Tel. 00351-282 969 161
Mobil: 0172/5783953
sm@vreedom.com
http://www.vreedom.com

Headquarter: Ölmühle, 34454 Bad Arolsen, Germany
Tel. 05691-628800
stephanmagnus@hpsolutions.de
http://www.hpsolutions.de

Moderator Simulation & Gaming on openBC: https://www.openbc.com/net/simbizz/
Posted by ""Stephan Magnus"" <stephan.magnus@clix.pt>
posting date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:09:54 +0100
Keith Linard klin4960 bigpond.ne

Workforce Planning

Post by Keith Linard klin4960 bigpond.ne »

Posted by ""Keith Linard"" <klin4960@bigpond.net.au>
The papers / work at Australian Defence Force Academy, referred to by Nadya were done by me or in collaboration with my post grad students, mainly as part of contracts for the Australian Artmy or Navy, which had / still have major problems in filling senior technical positions ... because of a lack of understanding of employment dynamics.

I have a number of papers (refer SD bibliography on the Society web site) plus various related models - all in Powersim Constructor or Powersim Studio - which I am happy to make available by email ' keithlinard@yahoo.co.uk '. (Incidentally, the Powersim model associated with the paper that I co-authored with Karl-Erik Sveiby, referred to by Nadya, is in the proceedings of the 2002 Palermo ISD conference, 'SVEIB1_S.ZIP')

As with all SD modelling, the nature of the model is largely determined by the nature of the problem one is addressing, so the papers need to be read in that context.

On a more general level, as part of my research, I looked at every 'HR' SD model I could lay my hands on (software product demos, manuals, text books, journal articles & conference papers etc) & I became worried at the lack of empirical support for often used relationships (eg, stress & productivity). Most such relationships seemed to me to be 'plucked out of the air'. Over the past 4 years I have scanned over 4000 peer reviewed journal articles published since 1994, ranging across accounting, labour economics, law, management, psychology, workforce planning etc etc etc, as well as diverse government reports (GAO etc) which address in some way or other presumed causal or (statistical) correlational relationships among workforce variables. Again, I have been appalled at the lack of empirical data. This exercise has driven home to me the incestuousness of some areas of academic 'research' ... where there is a merry-go-round of people quoting each other or doing meta-analyses of meta-analyses of self referential studies. Anecdotal 'evidence' abounds, typically based on sample sizes of 1 to 5 entities, with few employees. I suspect that most of the real data in this field is held by consulting companies which either have not devoted the effort to collating and publishing it, or who hold confidential as part of their corporate knowledge base. I am writing up a summary of key HR relationships found in this masochistic exercise, which I hope to present at next year's ISD conference.

Keith Linard
134 Gisborne Road
Bacchus Marsh
Vic 3340
AUSTRALIA
Email: keithlinard@yahoo.co.uk
Posted by ""Keith Linard"" <klin4960@bigpond.net.au>
posting date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:43:32 +1000