Process and performance simulation

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
George A Simpson gsimpso4 csc.co

Post by George A Simpson gsimpso4 csc.co »

Posted by George A Simpson <gsimpso4@csc.com>

I am considering writing something about how business process simulation (discrete simulation) and business performance simulation (systems
dynamics) complement one another in the domain of business strategy.

Does anyone know of previous work on this topic?

..george...

Dr. George Simpson, Principal Consultant, CSC Alliance: Performance Engineer CSC House, Fleet Hampshire, UK. GU51 2UY tel +44 1252 813930 mobile 07814 623518 Posted by George A Simpson <gsimpso4@csc.com> posting date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:26:46 +0100
Roy Greenhalgh rgreenh attglobal

Post by Roy Greenhalgh rgreenh attglobal »

Posted by Roy Greenhalgh <rgreenh@attglobal.net>
George

Prof John Morecroft of London Business School, and Stewart Robinson of Warwick University produced a paper for the ISDC at Boston entitled ""Explaining puzzling dynamics: comparing the use of system dynamics and discrete simulation"". An excellent read, and a topic long overdue.

Roy Greenhalgh.
Posted by Roy Greenhalgh <rgreenh@attglobal.net>
posting date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:31:46 +0100
Francisco Perez francisco77pp ya

Post by Francisco Perez francisco77pp ya »

Hello George. I'd like to add a comment to your Query.

Business Process Simulation is not necessarily based on Discrete SImulation, in fact SD may be used for BizProzSim. On the other hand, Business Performance Simulation is not necessarily based on System DYnamics, in fact Discrete Sim could be perfectly used a supporting tool. The difference is the approach. However, in the world of Biz Perf Mngnmt, BizProzSim is one of its supporting knowledge and practice domain. In practice, people often use them in an interchangeable way, misleading though.

There are plenty of papers on BizProzSim and BizPerfMngmnt in the SD Literature and BPM Literature. I belong to a very interesting forum/group called PMAForum supported and sponsored by the Cranfield University, more specifically the Centre for Business Performance, Cranfield School of Management. It's very useful for both beginners and practising people/prof's.

I'd recommed you to visit http://www.bptrends.com, one interesting site of the BPTrends Institution, with plenty of information/paprs on business performance and process management. I 've been trying to link people from both communities, SD and Perf/Proz Managament, which has been a difficult task, but it's improving. I think that SD has got plenty to give for understanding business processes and biz performances (as it has already!), but it is yet necessary to approach it to PMA professionals (most of them from the accounting world, and a partircularly increasing community from IT world). They need more interaction as well as we do.

You may contact me directly to my email if you need specific papers or any other suggestion that may help you in your research...

Regards
Francisco
Posted by Francisco Perez <francisco77pp@yahoo.com>
posting date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
Joel Rahn jrahn sympatico.ca

Post by Joel Rahn jrahn sympatico.ca »

Posted by Joel Rahn <jrahn@sympatico.ca>
The most recent work is a paper from the Boston conference this year: Explaining Puzzling Dynamics: Comparing the Use of System Dynamics and Discrete-Event Simulation by John Morecroft and Stewart Robinson.

For a different take on 'business process simulation' that is not discrete-event but owes a lot to systems thinking principles including SD, check out the following website

http://www.robbert.ca/

Rob Hoffman gave a short workshop on the approach on Thursday morning at the Boston conference.

Joel Rahn
posting date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:44:00 -0400
Joel Rahn jrahn sympatico.ca

Post by Joel Rahn jrahn sympatico.ca »

Almost simultaneous with my sending (SD5543), the suggested website ""for a different take on 'business process simulation' that is not discrete-event"" changed to the following:

www.whatiftechnologies.com <http://www.whatiftechnologies.com/>
posting date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:33:09 -0400