System archetypes with improvements

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
John Gunkler jgunkler sprintmail

Post by John Gunkler jgunkler sprintmail »

Posted by ""John Gunkler"" <jgunkler@sprintmail.com>
As a way of introducing the power of system dynamics to the uninitiated, I have always wanted to use the ""system archetypes"" described so well by Daniel Kim (and others.) But, the first question that comes to mind (both my mind, I must admit, as well as my clients' minds) is -- ""OK, so we're in a situation much like that, how do we best deal with it?""

How powerful would it be in promoting the use of SD if we could describe realistic problem situations in which people can see themselves, then offer them a concrete starting place for getting out of the dilemma that they've probably given up hope for?

I have seen only a couple of the archetypes described along with potentially ameliorating actions (policies).

I suppose I am just supposed to be smart enough to figure these out myself
-- and, given time, I probably could -- but if it has already been done, I'd appreciate a reference to sources. Do any of you know sources of answers to the question: ""What can we do when we're in this archetypal situation?"" Posted by ""John Gunkler"" <jgunkler@sprintmail.com> posting date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:45:24 -0500
Joel Rahn jrahn sympatico.ca

Post by Joel Rahn jrahn sympatico.ca »

Posted by Joel Rahn <jrahn@sympatico.ca>
Wolstenholme's classification of archetypes includes both 'problem' and 'solution' versions. See: ""Towards the definition and use of a core set of archetypal structures in system dynamics"", E. F. Wolstenholme, SDR 19, 7-26 (2003) for complete details. In the spirit of archetypes, the 'solutions' require some effort to adapt them to a specific problem-situation. Joel Rahn Posted by Joel Rahn <jrahn@sympatico.ca> posting date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:48:23 -0400
Eric Wolstenholme Eric.Wolstenho

Post by Eric Wolstenholme Eric.Wolstenho »

Posted by ""eric wolstenholme"" <eric.wolstenholme@symmetricsd.co.uk>
Thanks for mentioning this paper Joel. It is all about creating ways of recognising the use of archetypes for improvement.

One of my major points in the paper was to separate out 'problem' and 'solution' archetypes. All too often the solution links are all mixed up with the problem links.

The key to achieving improvement in any 'problem' archetype is develop a 'solution archetype'. There are rules for this:

1. clearly define the polarity of the intended consequence feedback
loop, (whether this is reinforcing or balancing).

2. clearly define the polarity of the unintended consequence feedback
loop, which is acting against the intended policy in 1 after a delay.

3. create a 'solution link' from the intended consequence feedback loop
to the unintended consequence feedback loop to minimise the effect of the unintended consequence. (Note that this may require a new feedback loop rather than just a link.)

4. this link should have a polarity which causes the net effect of the
solution archetype to revert to the polarity of the original intended consequence feedback loop defined in 1.

5. the above requires:

a. that the unintended consequence loop should, wherever possible, be
pre-empted

b. that the solution link should be implemented in parallel with
implementing the intended consequence loop.

6. draw organisational boundaries on archetypes to help understand why
unintended consequences arise and to assist cross boundary working of solution archetypes.

As ever this is best understood by a specific example. In market growth and investment (limits to growth), the intention is to create a reinforcing growth loop by sales and orders, in the sale/marketing sector of a business. The unintended consequence is caused by an increase in manufacturing lead-time in the production sector of the business, which acts against the growth (balancing loop). These two loops create a 'problem' archetype. The problem might eventually correct itself as lead time triggers an increase in manufacturing capacity. However, the more expedient solution is to create a solution link, which connects forecast orders to manufacturing capacity and recreates an unrestricted reinforcing loop. The resultant archetype is then a solution archetype. Implementation of this solution requires the two sectors to work together.

The paper applies the generic solution approach to most known archetypes.

Best wishes,

Eric

--------------------------------------
E: eric.wolstenholme@symmetricsd.co.uk
W: www.symmetricsd.co.uk
--------------------------------------
Posted by ""eric wolstenholme"" <eric.wolstenholme@symmetricsd.co.uk>
posting date Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:52:50 +0100
DGPacker aol.com

Post by DGPacker aol.com »

Posted by DGPacker@aol.com
In the workshops and counseling sessions we have done, we use archetypes as a powerful way of introducing people to see structures that create many
problems they face. We then probe with them the ways that the sturcture could be
changed to achieve their goals--by eliminating links, adding links, changing polarity, creating new feedback loops or simply reducing the unfavorable impact
of loops that cause problems. This is necessary and very valuable work and
provides learning about systems as well as real insight into real issues in a
surprising number of cases. (I would note that Pegasus Communications
(pegasuscom.com) has some valuable materials that support these efforts.)

Dave Packer
Systems Thinking Collaborative
www.stcollab.com
Posted by DGPacker@aol.com
posting date Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:47:10 EDT