Dynamics of the Informal Economy

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
Enzo Bivona enzobivona sciepol.u

Post by Enzo Bivona enzobivona sciepol.u »

Posted by ""Enzo Bivona"" <enzobivona@sciepol.unipa.it>
Dear all,

Recently I've been asked to be part of a research project aimed to explore the phenomena of ""moonlighting"" and ""informal economy"". In particular, the project aims to build a System Dynamics model that can support policy makers to identify alternatives policies to tackle such phenomena and to increase the number of regular workers.

I will be very pleased to receive any comments, suggestions and references of past works that significantly embody a System Dynamics approach.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Enzo

Enzo Bivona, Assistant Professor in Business Management University of Palermo - Faculty of Political Sciences PhD in Business Management, University of Catania (Italy) Master Phil in System Dynamics, University of Bergen (Norway) Posted by ""Enzo Bivona"" <enzobivona@sciepol.unipa.it> posting date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:20:25 +0200
Francisco Perez francisco77pp ya

Post by Francisco Perez francisco77pp ya »

Posted by Francisco Perez <francisco77pp@yahoo.com>
Hi Enzo, I am pleased to answer any of your questions since I live in
Venezuela, a country which has seen a radical increase in informal economy
in all of its sorts. Day to day I hold conversations with my colleagues
about the topics which has become a real headache to formal business (from
small to big ones).

If you could narrow your inquiry I could be more useful.
Redgards
Francisco Perez
Management and Operations Strategy Consultant
OptimesCroup ltd.
Venezuela
Posted by Francisco Perez <francisco77pp@yahoo.com>
posting date Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
Enzo Bivona enzobivona sciepol.u

Post by Enzo Bivona enzobivona sciepol.u »

Dear all,

First of all, thanks to Francisco for his answer and the request to narrow my query.

The research project to which I referred in my previously email aims to investigate the phenomenon
of workers (in different industries) who are, for instance, not formally hired or do not receive the regular wage, reported in the signed contract of employment (if effectively signed), for the work done. In Italian such working position is defined ""lavoro nero"". This phenomenon is very often recorded in Small and Medium Enterprises, although empirical evidences show some cases in larger firms. The research plan includes anonymous interviews with a large sample of employees and interviews with key-actors who work in different public agencies that aim to detect and regularize such workers.

Intermediates and final research results will be used to build and test a System Dynamics model to support public decision-makers to design and validate different policies that aim:
- to avoid the creation of new working positions that are not regularized (or only partially), and
- to detect and regularize workers who do not get all benefits included in a regular contract of employment (e.g., wage, welfare services).

I will be very pleased to receive any comments, suggestions and references of past works on the issue underlined above.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Enzo
posting date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:55:33 +0200