ANNOUNCE CFP UK OR Conference Strategy Stream

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
Martín Kunc

ANNOUNCE CFP UK OR Conference Strategy Stream

Post by Martín Kunc »

Posted by Martín Kunc <martin.kunc@uai.cl> Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to the stream OR & Strategy for the OR49 conference to be held in Edinburgh in September 2007. Please find below more information about the conference and the stream.

OR49
Edinburgh
4 – 6 September 2007
For its 2007 annual conference, the OR Society is heading to Edinburgh – a city that certainly lives up to its reputation as one of the most beautiful cities in Britain. This historic city is one of the world’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan places and one of Europe's major tourist destinations

Stream OR & Strategy

Theme for this year’s stream: “Strategy can be plan, ploy, pattern, position or perspective; can different definitions of strategy imply different methodologies to solve the problem of strategising? And what OR methodology fits better with each definition?”

Michael Pidd (2004) suggested that careful strategizing and policy-making are hard to do and OR in strategy can be used for improving procedural rationality during the process of strategising. However, the efficiencies of OR methodologies may vary as the definition of the process of strategizing varies. Are OR practitioners in Strategy aware of these differences? Do we have clearly defined our position with respect to the definition of strategy? In which situation can OR be most useful?

This year I would like to invite the submission of papers either theory or practice-oriented that deal with different perspectives in strategising and their effects in the selection (either explicitly or tacitly) and application of OR methodologies. While the theme is OR and Strategizing, you are welcome to submit your paper in other interesting topics related to OR and Strategy.

The invitation is open not only to OR practitioners but I would also encourage you to invite colleagues, who are working in strategizing, from areas different than OR.

Due date for submission of paper titles and abstracts is January 15 2007 (but you can send it a bit later if you send me an email before). Please do not hesitate to contact me at martin.kunc@uai.cl for suggestions and questions about this year’s stream before the due date.

Pidd, M. (2004) Contemporary OR/MS in strategy development and
policy-making: some reflections. JORS Vol. 55

HAVE RELAXING SEASON HOLIDAYS,
Martin

Martin H. Kunc, Ph.D.
Profesor de Estrategia / Professor of Strategic Management Escuela de Negocios / School of Business Universidad Adolfo Ibañez Avda. Pte Errazuriz 3485, Las Condes Santiago, Chile Posted by Martín Kunc <martin.kunc@uai.cl> posting date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:51:38 -0300 _______________________________________________