QUERY Primer on System Dynamics for Governance

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
""Ashley Woolmore"" <ashley_w

Post by ""Ashley Woolmore"" <ashley_w »

Posted by ""Ashley Woolmore"" <ashley_woolmore@hotmail.com>

Dear All,

I have the opportunity to influence a Government's development & policy setting agenda, if you like I am helping to define the Governments broadly conceptualised strategy for competitiveness. This work spans the whole range of policy areas (international relations, health, energy, social care, economy, etc.) And I'd very much like to introduce the notion of system dynamics and systems thinking.

What would be the best place to look for a general primer on how to apply system dynamics to these issues? Preferably an up to date publication.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards,

Ashley Woolmore
Posted by ""Ashley Woolmore"" <ashley_woolmore@hotmail.com> posting date Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:59:08 +0000 _______________________________________________
""Bob Cavana"" <Bob.Cavana@vu

Post by ""Bob Cavana"" <Bob.Cavana@vu »

Posted by ""Bob Cavana"" <Bob.Cavana@vuw.ac.nz>

Hello Ashley,
You may find my recent publication (with Leslie Clifford, NZ Customs
Service) in the System Dynamics Review of some interest in relation to the application of systems thinking and system dynamics ideas to public policy making. The reference is:

Cavana, RY and Clifford, LV. (2006). Demonstrating the utility of system dynamics for public policy analysis in New Zealand: the case of excise tax policy on tobacco. System Dynamics Review 22(4): 321-348.

All the best,
Bob

A/Prof Bob Cavana
Victoria Management School
Posted by ""Bob Cavana"" <Bob.Cavana@vuw.ac.nz> posting date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:53:37 +1200 _______________________________________________