Ventity install question - multiple versions

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
rdudley

Ventity install question - multiple versions

Post by rdudley »

I pined an earlier version of Ventity to the task bar and have used it off and on for a few months. More recently I installed a newer version (Build 1.0.5743.31014).

If I click on the task bar to open ventity it opens the previously installed version (Build: 1.0.5678.41676).

Opening from the all apps menu runs the newer version. (And I can pin this new version to the task bar).

When I look to see installed apps (programs) I see only one version of Ventity installed.

Is there a way to get rid of the older version... or does it matter?

Using Dell Laptop Latitude E6510 64 bit system with Windows 10.
R. G. Dudley
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Ventity install question - multiple versions

Post by tomfid »

That's odd. I don't think any of the install paths have changed, so all shortcuts should point to the newest version, and the old should be overwritten. The only thing I can think of is to do a control panel uninstall, then manually clean up by deleting any Ventity stuff in \Program Files, then reinstall the new version. I'll check with the developers for other thoughts.

If it's not in your way, it shouldn't matter.
rdudley

Post by rdudley »

May have to do with the fact that the older version was installed under Windows 7, I then upgraded to Windows 10 and later installed the newer version of Ventity.

Program files for the older version are installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\Ventity (beta)

Program files for the newer version are under: C:\Program Files\Ventity (beta)

I am not sure I understand how windows handles the older programs when I upgraded, but I would assume that both instances of vensim should appear in the list of installed programs... but somehow windows does not see the older installation.
R. G. Dudley
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Ahh ... that's it. The old version is 32bit and the new is 64 - that's why it didn't get overwritten. I think you could just manually delete the old one.