Problem adding columns to builtin dataset editor

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
Phill
Vensim version: DSS

Problem adding columns to builtin dataset editor

Post by Phill »

I followed the exercises in the Ventity manual and got as far as exercise 3 without any problems. I tried to move straight from exercise 2 to exercise 3 so, having finished exercise 2 and leaving the program open, I added the 'Cows' entity, then the associated auxiliary variable and attribute. Following the instructions I then opened the 'Builtin dataset editor for Input 1: many pastures' to enter the list of cows and assign their consumption rates on the 'Cow' entity tab. But when I opened that panel there were no columns for 'pasture' or 'consumption', as shown in the illustration in the manual, and I could not find any way of adding them. Then I closed the model and reopened it and found that the 'consumption' column had appeared. There is still no column for the 'pasture' attribute, as you can see from the attached screen shot.
Attachments
builtin.PNG
builtin.PNG (32.97 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Phill

Re: Problem adding columns to builtin dataset editor

Post by Phill »

Here's the model I am referring to. I would be very interested to know if anyone else can see the Pastures column on the Cows tab in the 'BuiltIn: many pastures' input data table (or point out where I've gone wrong). In the model as I am viewing it, there doesn't seem to be a way to link the cows to the different pastures,
Attachments
Cows.zip
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

My guess is that you added the Pasture attribute after creating the builtin dataset that populates the cows, right? Unfortunately, there's a bug that prevents the dataset from updating to reflect the new attribute. If you create a new builtin dataset, the Pasture column should be included. This'll be fixed in the next beta release. (Actually, there are quite a few improvements in this area.)
Phill

Post by Phill »

Thanks Tom. I had tried making a duplicate of the dataset, but that didn't make any difference. Adding a new one, though, did include the pastures attribute, which I had added after creating the original dataset, as you say.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

This is fixed in the latest release. Unfortunately there are a couple of other glitches in the input data infrastructure, but they don't cause rework like this does.