Problem with entity picker (cohort model)

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
moudi
Vensim version: DSS

Problem with entity picker (cohort model)

Post by moudi »

Hi

When I run a model with multiple cohorts, and want to display the results with a line chart, I get the following situation:

- no problem when clicking "cohortid": all the cohorts are displayed
- when unclicking "cohortid" and clicking a number of selected cohorts, I get an empty display "No output to display"
- when I unclick manunally the cohorts which I don't want to see, it works.
dangoldner

Re: Problem with entity picker (cohort model)

Post by dangoldner »

I see what you mean. When I unclick "cohortID", all cohorts are deselected ... and the "cohort" box is also deselected. Then when I select a few cohortIDs, "cohortID" updates to show that some cohorts have been selected, but "cohort" remains unselected, so nothing is displayed. If I then select "cohort", ALL cohorts are selected, when I only wanted to show the few I had checked. We will review this.

In the meantime, be sure the "cohort" box is selected, or no cohorts will be displayed. If doing that selects all cohorts, and you wish to display just a few, a quick way to do that is to first de-select the ones you want to display, then right-click and choose "Invert selection."

In general (for other readers), Ventity will display chart information only for entities that meet ALL the criteria from the entity picker. So to plot information from cookie entities, the "cookie" entity type must be selected in the entity picker or no cookie information will be displayed. Further, if your cookie entities have a "flavor" attribute, but no values for "flavor" are selected, then no cookie information will be displayed, since no flavor has been picked for inclusion in the chart. If they also have a "size" attribute, at least one size must be selected, or the chart will be empty.
moudi

Post by moudi »

Thanks, everything is clear. Invert selection works.
miker
Vensim version: PLE

Post by miker »

Hi
How exactly did you solve this problem? I have same issue and I'm not able to make it working.
dangoldner

Post by dangoldner »

We're working on a significant rewrite of the entity picker. In the meantime, with the current version, be sure something is selected or you will get no results. The shortcut described above (select everything, un-check the ones you want, then right-click and choose "invert selection") might be helpful.