Cohort models age monitoring

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
moudi
Vensim version: DSS

Cohort models age monitoring

Post by moudi »

I wanted to implement a feature in a population cohort model where age classes can be monitored (e.g. 0-24, 25-34, etc.). For this reason I referred to the sample model "CohortPop+ageMonitorAlt" and used the construction presented there for "childbearing age". So an attribute "Age range 0 to 24" has been created which should receive the information about the age of the cohort. Together with the action "update age range", this attribute can be used to create a new subcollection (age range 0 to 24). So far it works fine.

However I tried to provide this attribute with several items (age 0 to 24, 25 to 34, etc.). This does not work. One solution would be to create a number of attributes for each age class... but this is not very attractive. Is there a better solution? I also tried to use an auxiliary with an if then else functionality, but here I cannot use/convert double to feed the attribute.
Test Group Cohort1m_attribute_age3.zip
(20.44 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Cohort models age monitoring

Post by tomfid »

There isn't a good solution for this yet.

What I've done, for a very limited set of age classes, is to create an "age class" attribute, and use a command action to update it based on the nominal age of the cohort.

However, the "else if" syntax doesn't work for attribute initialization in attributes, so this requires creation of one action per class.

Sorry. We'll get there.
moudi

Post by moudi »

Thank you. It's good to know where to look for a better solution :-) and where not!
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Actually, I think we have a solution. I'll post ASAP.
LarryYeager
Vensim version: Ventity

Post by LarryYeager »

Just added a feature that directly supports grouping attribute values within numeric ranges for a variable or expression. This will be part of Release 1.1, sometime next week.
moudi

Post by moudi »

Good. I'm looking forward to this!