Market action

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
paulvbaal
Vensim version: PLE+

Market action

Post by paulvbaal »

Hi,

I am stuck trying to figure out how to get a market action to work.

I am basically trying to match supply and demand bids for a certain good, I have three entity types: Market, Supply, and Demand. Supply and demand entities have a auxiliaries "amount" and "quantity", denoting respectively the requested amount and the requested priority. The singular Market entity is the owner of the action and determines when to clear the market. However, when creating the action, I do not have access to the auxiliaries of refSupply or refDemand, even if the Collection in the market operator is set to respectively Supply[] or Demand[]. In contrast, with the Allocate action, set up in exactly the same way, I can access those, and it functions.

I attach my model to show the problem.
supply and demand.zip
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
paulvbaal
Vensim version: PLE+

Re: Market action

Post by paulvbaal »

Sorry for the mistake, it should read that both Supply and Demand entities have an "amount" and "price" auxiliary, denoting respectively their amount and priority for the market clearing.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

We're back from the holiday and will take a look.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

There is indeed a bug. We're working on it.
davidc
Vensim version: Ventity

Post by davidc »

We've identified the problem in the Market Action and will be releasing a fix before the end of the year. Thanks for pointing out this issue!
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

If you email us at info at ventity.biz, we have a build that fixes this.
RWTH_FCN
Vensim version: DSS

Post by RWTH_FCN »

Hi,
I was wondering how can I use different allocation functions such as DEMAND/SUPPLY AT PRICE or FIND MARKET PRICE in Ventity?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

In Ventity, these are implemented as actions. They're in the Actions section under Defining Entity Types in the Help.
RWTH_FCN

Post by RWTH_FCN »

tomfid wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:54 pm In Ventity, these are implemented as actions. They're in the Actions section under Defining Entity Types in the Help.
Do you have any estimate when Market Price will be activated in the Action section?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I'm pretty sure the market price already works.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I'll find an example.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Actually, you're right - it's still returning 0. I'll bump up the priority and see what ETA looks like.
RWTH_FCN

Post by RWTH_FCN »

tomfid wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:14 pm Actually, you're right - it's still returning 0. I'll bump up the priority and see what ETA looks like.
In help section, it's mentioned that it is currently inoperative as well. Is there any hope for having it this year?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Yes - but I'm also wondering if there's some way to reverse-engineer the value out of the results that are available now.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Actually, the two-sided Market action does populate the clearing price. So, I think a workaround for now would be to use the two sided version, even if the supply or demand side only has one entity.
RWTH_FCN

Post by RWTH_FCN »

tomfid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:05 pm Actually, the two-sided Market action does populate the clearing price. So, I think a workaround for now would be to use the two sided version, even if the supply or demand side only has one entity.
What about one sided action? Does it support Market with one demander and several suppliers?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Yes - that should work. It'll just be processing a collection of 1 entity on one side of the market. I'll see if I can come up with an example.
RWTH_FCN

Post by RWTH_FCN »

tomfid wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:32 am Yes - that should work. It'll just be processing a collection of 1 entity on one side of the market. I'll see if I can come up with an example.
That would be great. The examples in this link might be useful for designing a one to many allocation:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7034