using Visualizer without shapes

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
apm

using Visualizer without shapes

Post by apm »

Is it currently possible to use the Ventity visualizer without using shapefiles? I'm thinking that to visualize something like the agent-based infection model that Tom developed, there may not be a need to incorporate specific shapes to just show the infection spreading across different populations. If so, how could this be done? If not, I guess I'd just find some shapefile that would work to represent a population and use in the way described, right?
tomfid
Administrator

Re: using Visualizer without shapes

Post by tomfid »

It can be done by specifying "map item" entities, which are points with lat/lon.

We'll be bringing back the 3D visualizer for simpler non-GIS applications like this.
apm

Post by apm »

Thanks Tom. So is it the case that you CAN visualize this type of application with the current visualizer using the map item entities, but it WILL be EASIER when you bring back the 3D visualizer?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Right.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I should probably cook up an example. But the basic idea at present would be to assign a location (lat/lon) to each individual in the model, and then color the points according to infection status.

Now that I think about it, points don't currently have dynamic size/shape/color, but that should be working very soon.