Bug Report: Long subscript strings break "Variable" tool

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
jrissman
Vensim version: DSS

Bug Report: Long subscript strings break "Variable" tool

Post by jrissman »

Hello Ventana Systems folks,

I have been running into a strange bug in my model and have narrowed down the cause to something to do with the length of the "Subscripts" line that is applied to different variables. If this line gets too long, then whenever using the "Variable" tool to rename a variable, the variable's text size will change to be very large, and it will look like "strikethrough" text.

I've created a very simple model (containing just one variable) to demonstrate the bug. I have attached two versions of this model. The "OK" version uses short subscript names, and the "Variable" tool works fine when renaming a variable. The "BAD" version uses longer subscript names, and the "Variable" naming tool messes up the appearance of any variable you rename. (Even if you do not change the name- you just begin editing the name, then hit "return" (not "escape") to finish editing, the variable is affected.) I've also attached a screenshot to show what the result looks like when the renaming tool has messed up a variable.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vensim v6.3 from scratch, and the problem occurs in a freshly installed copy of Vensim v6.3. The problem occurs in both the Windows 32-bit and Windows 64-bit versions.

This bug may force me to rename some of my subscripts as a work-around, which is bizarre, because they are the same subscripts I've been using for months and they used to work given their current lengths. Perhaps the length of the variable name is also involved in some way.

If this bug could be corrected in an upcoming version of Vensim, that would be really terrific! It was challenging to isolate the cause of this bug.

Jeff
Attachments
2015-06-19 DemoModel-OK.mdl
The "Variable" tool works correctly when renaming variables in this version.
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
2015-06-19 DemoModel-BAD.mdl
The "Variable" tool ruins the appearance of variables you rename in this version.
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
This is a screenshot of what a variable looks like after you use the renaming tool on it in the "BAD" version of the model.
This is a screenshot of what a variable looks like after you use the renaming tool on it in the "BAD" version of the model.
VensimBugScreenshot.JPG (81.23 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Bug Report: Long subscript strings break "Variable" tool

Post by Administrator »

Very strange. But should be an easy fix.
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
jrissman
Vensim version: DSS

Re: Bug Report: Long subscript strings break "Variable" tool

Post by jrissman »

I just tested in Vensim v6.3C and this bug seems to be gone. At least, the models that used to exhibit the problem, like the "BAD" demo model attached to my initial post, no longer have the problem under v6.3C. So that's great!