Output Graphs in Model Reader

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Ifeanyi
Vensim version: PLE

Output Graphs in Model Reader

Post by Ifeanyi »

Hello Tom,
Please I have noticed that the output graphs of simulation results in a model which are active during a synthesim manipulation of variables are not active during the same synthesim manipulation of variables in the model reader. Why is that sir? Thanks
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Output Graphs in Model Reader

Post by tomfid »

Are these custom graphs or analysis tool graphs of workbench variables?

In the first case, you need to be sure that the graphs are embedded in the model, or in a .vgd in the published version.

In the second, be sure to include the toolset associated with your environment - if the names don't match, the graphs won't show.
Ifeanyi

Post by Ifeanyi »

Does that mean that I should save my model as a .vgd when I am publishing it so that the graphs embedded in the model will be active in the model reader also?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Saving the graphs as a vgd should work, but (a) only for custom graphs, and (b) shouldn't be necessary if the graphs are already embedded in the model.

Can you post a sample?
Ifeanyi

Post by Ifeanyi »

Hi Tom,
I have, embedded in this model, output graphs which are not active during synthesim mode in the model reader except in vensim. How am i supposed to save such a file so that the embedded graphs are active? I will be looking forward to your thouhgts soon. Thanks
Attachments
Workforce Problem.mdl
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

This works fine for me. What versions are you running?
Workforce Problem.vpm
(24.08 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
workforceSynthesim.png
workforceSynthesim.png (124.98 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Ifeanyi

Post by Ifeanyi »

I guess I have the latest version of the model reader. The embedded graphs are active in vensim ple but inactive in the model reader
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Strange. This works fine for me, whether I publish from PLE or DSS. What OS are you using? Are you sure that the first loaded dataset is a run from the same model?
Ifeanyi

Post by Ifeanyi »

Hi Tom,
I am using Windows 8.1 os. It baffles me why the graphs are not active in the model reader. Is there a special way I am supposed to save and publish a model with embedded graphs?
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi

Why do you want to use the Vensim reader?

You can ask your clients to download the Vensim PLE, with which they can use you models
using the synthesim and see the graphs, unless you do not want your clients to be able to modify the model?

Another reason of using the Vensim reader, is that you use the Venapp to present the model, which is a very good idea, that is even mandatory if you use the Vensim DSS. Whatever the quality of a
model, if it is not understood by the audience, it has no value!

But before publishing, have a look at the results delivered by the model, using the synthesim.

If you double the salary per worker from 20000 to 40000, the costs do not vary, and the salaries seem to be the only costs considered in this model.

One other thing looking strange is that the loops are very short, using the loop analysis tool, showing apparently no global dynamic and no influences between levels.

One sees that very quickly: if you override the quality of service with a ramp from 100 to 300 with the synthesim the customer satisfaction stays even!

You should closely study the model, with a graph for all levels, using the sliders for all the constants and overriding all variables with steps, ramps, etc.., trying to understand the behaviour of the model.

Regards.

JJ
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

You shouldn't have to do anything special. Custom graphs show the first loaded dataset (unless you specify otherwise), so if you include an irrelevant or broken dataset in the package, that will cause problems. I can't think of another reason. Did you try the .vpm I uploaded?
Ifeanyi

Post by Ifeanyi »

Hi Tom,
I tried the .vpm you uploaded and the embedded graphs were active during synthesim in the model reader. Is it about how I publish models?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Must be.

I would recommend not including a .vdf in the package, unless you need a base run or dataset for a particular reason. That will ensure that any new run is loaded as the first active dataset. That's the only thing I can think of.

Post your .vpm and we can take a look.
Ifeanyi

Post by Ifeanyi »

Hi Tom,
When I am trying to publish a model, I save it as a binary format file and then click "publish". In the dialog box that appears, I just don't alter anything again and hit publish. Is there something else I am supposed to do in the publish dialog box? Please advise me on how to publish a model so that the embedded graphs will be active in synthesim mode. Thanks Tom