GIS function

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
barbaralaa
Vensim version: Ventity

GIS function

Post by barbaralaa »

Hi,

I would like to use the new GIS function in Ventana but I feel a little bit lost. Where can I find information on how this works?

On my first try I created a new GIS view, selected the entity I want to show and selected the according shape file. But the view just stayed blank.

Thank you,

Barbara
tomfid
Administrator

Re: GIS function

Post by tomfid »

There's some info in the Help system under Examining Results>Visualizer. A video is also in the pipeline.
barbaralaa

Post by barbaralaa »

Great, thanks for the quick reply! I'm looking forward to the video.

Two further questions in the meantime:

1) I managed to import a shapefile just for testing, which is displayed correctly. I then created an entity layer and connected the ShpUniqueField with the UniqueIdName. In this case I want to show different numbers of populations in different countries. This works perfectly fine if all of the country-IDs start at the same time, but if I let one ID start at a different time step, it is not shown at all (see screenshots attached). How can I fix this?

2) I tested 1) with a different shapefile because the one I need seems not to be working. The view just stays blank. There is no error message and Ventity can read the dbf-file (I can select the right ShpUniqueField). And I can open that shapefile in QGIS without problems. Can you maybe help me with that? Could it maybe be a problem of the scale or viewing position? I selected the option "Fit Content".

Thank you!
Attachments
test_GIS_map_wrong.PNG
test_GIS_map_wrong.PNG (47.07 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
test_GIS_table_wrong.PNG
test_GIS_table_wrong.PNG (16.16 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

1) I assume the correct result would be for Italy to become blue at time 5. Not sure what's happening - I just ran a quick test that I think is similar and it worked. What's the time scale in the Run Control in your sample model? Can you post a copy (.zip the whole model folder, including shapefiles)?

2) This has happened to me before, but I don't recall the conditions. I think it was my error. I'll think about it and get back to you ASAP (possibly some delay because the SD conference is underway).
barbaralaa

Post by barbaralaa »

1) Yes, Italy should become blue tsarting at time 5. The time scale is Days, with 1 day time steps and a total of 120 time steps. I attached the zip-file.

2) Thank you!
Attachments
test_GIS.zip
(122.29 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I think you've found an aspect that's not implemented yet - plotting entities that don't exist at time 0. Hopefully this will be done soon as we need it too. It'll be in 3.0.x and we can give you access to a nightly build when it's ready.

Do you have an example for the blank-screen problem?
barbaralaa

Post by barbaralaa »

Hi,

thank you. Good that you will implement the feature in the new version!

Regarding the blank screen: I tried it with different shape files and it seems to be working with some and not with others (interestingly shapfiles showing the whole world worked and single European countries did not). Are there maybe some parameters that have to be in the shape file for Ventity to be able to show it, that might be missing in the European ones?

A new problem that appeared: I tried to create a new model with different shape files in the same GIS viewer to show you which ones produce visible maps, but then Ventity started to behave weird. I created new layers and saved them and when I wanted to reopen the GIS viewer, the layers were all deleted.

I tried to attach a zipped model here but with the shape file the file size is too big.

Here is a link to one of the shapefiles that did not work: https://www.data.gv.at/katalog/dataset/ ... 1a4dbebab0
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

The issue seems to be the projection - MGI/Austria Lambert. I reprojected the file to WGS84 in qgis, and the result works.
barbaralaa

Post by barbaralaa »

Great, thank you, it works! :)