Ventity does not launch in Windows 10

A place for Ventity software questions & answers
cobleg
Vensim version: Ventity

Ventity does not launch in Windows 10

Post by cobleg »

Hi,
I'm having trouble launching Ventity on both my Windows laptop and my Windows desktop computers. Ventity was running yesterday on my desktop but will not launch today. This follows a Windows 10 update - not sure if this is just a coincidence. Same experience with my laptop last week. I was just wondering if you could provide any guidance.

Windows specifications on my desktop:
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎30/‎06/‎2021
OS build 19045.2846
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

In an attempt to rectify this, I downloaded and installed Ventity 4.9. No luck with this one either. Can you please advise how I can fix this problem?
tomfid
Administrator

Re: Ventity does not launch in Windows 10

Post by tomfid »

When you say "will not launch" - what's the symptom? Do you get a blue Windows Defender screen, or something else, or nothing?
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

I’m getting nothing at all. Any other app works fine.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Checking with the devs ...

After you attempt the launch, if you open the Task Manager (<ctl><alt><del>), are there any zombie Ventity processes in the list?

We just posted 4.9.1, but I wouldn't expect it to differ in behavior (worth the upgrade though).
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

The Task Manager does not show any zombie Ventity processes. I shut down other apps running and retried but had no success in launching Ventity. I added Ventity as an exception to Bitdefender, but still nothing. Could this be a license key issue?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I doubt it's a key issue; that would give you an expiration dialog. However, if you email info@ventity.biz with the key, we can double check.
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

Just sent my license key via the email info@ventity.biz
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

I managed to get Ventity 4.9 working on my desktop computer under a new user profile. I put in my license key which has not expired, ran the sample mode BassArray7 successfully and then closed. I immediately attempted to relaunch Ventity and it has reverted back to not launching. So I suspect there is something about my user profile that is blocking Ventity.
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

I just repeated the process again as described in my previous post except using my wife's user profile. This replicated the outcome exactly as described. This time, I launched Ventity twice before installing my license key. Once the key was installed, Ventity failed to launch.
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

Thanks for the new key. Since I cannot launch Ventity, is there another way of replacing the key?
cobleg

Post by cobleg »

Thanks for your advice. Ventity is now restored on both my laptop and my desktop. I very much appreciate your rapid responses to my questions and issues.
NGooijer

Post by NGooijer »

Hi,

I am currently having the same issue as the one stated in this topic (on Windows 11).
None of the advice above solves the issue, so I was wondering if anyone could share the solution with me.

Thanks in advance!