Public Administration Performance

This forum contains all archives from the SD Mailing list (go to http://www.systemdynamics.org/forum/ for more information). This is here as a read-only resource, please post any SD related questions to the SD Discussion forum.
system-dynamics@VENSIM.COM

Post by system-dynamics@VENSIM.COM »

Carmine Bianchi"" <bianchi@unipa.it>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:12:53 -0500 (EST)
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:44:59 +0100
To: System Dynamics Listserv <sdmail@listserv.albany.edu> <sdmail@listserv.albany.edu>

Posted by
Dear Collegues,

I would like to ask whether anybody knows about possible useful case-studies and/or SD models describing the dynamics of workload and performance in administrative departments of Public Administrations. What I'm looking for is a case-study that is suitable to develop a SD model for class work and discussion. The SD model and the case-study would be used as a package to foster learning on how to analyse Public Administration processes leading to the ""production"" of a given service. The SD analysis would allow participants to the class understanding how to identify and affect main performance indicators (e.g. delivery delay, number of errors, time employed per task, ...) associated to the fulfilled processes behind a provided service.

For instance, possible interesting environments related to the case-study I'm looking for, could be referred to public departmental units devoted to the release of advice, or authorizations, or to the fullfilment of administrative steps associated to the execution of public works by other institutions (e.g. issue of the call, evaluation of applications, assignment of the tender, control of the execution of the tender), etc.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Kind regards,
Carmine

Carmine Bianchi, Full Professor of Business Management University of Palermo (ITALY) - Faculty of Political Sciences Department of Management Director of CED4 - System Dynamics Group-University of Palermo Posted by
posting date
GRUTTERS Carolus c.grutters jur.

Post by GRUTTERS Carolus c.grutters jur. »

Posted by GRUTTERS Carolus <c.grutters@jur.ru.nl>
Dear Carmine

You ask about possible useful case studies or SD models in administrative domains

I have done some research on the (Dutch) Asylum procedure and made a SD model using Ithink (or Stella) from the perspective: is there any explanation in feed back terms of the bizar behaviour of the inflow of asylum requests in Europe and in The Netherlands in particular.. So far so good.

Main problem, I guess, it is all in Dutch.
Second problem could be that is concerning a legal procedure which has its own peculiarities.

A very short summary on this research (Legal Dynamics) can be found in the system dynamics conference proceedings you organised in Palermo.

Please contact me directly if you want additonial info on this.

dr Carolus Grütters

==
Law & IT and
Centre for Migration Law (CMR)
Faculty of Law
Radboud University Nijmegen

PO Box 9049,
6500 KK Nijmegen
The Netherlands
Posted by GRUTTERS Carolus <c.grutters@jur.ru.nl>
posting date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:41:45 +0100
Rod MacDonald Rod isdps.org

Post by Rod MacDonald Rod isdps.org »

Posted by Rod MacDonald <Rod@isdps.org>
Hello Folks,

The system dynamics group at the University at Albany has a case study called Managing Rapid Growth in the Governor¹s Office of Regulatory Assistance (GORA). We use this case study in systems thinking workshops to get people drawing graphs over time and feedback loops. The case consists of a five page written document, pdf handouts of feedback loops (we hand these out at the end of the exercise) and we have a formal model we pull out to test different policies people suggest. It has been my experience that this case relates well to folks who work in government.

Folks wishing to use this for educational purposes can contact me directly for the materials.

Sincerely,
Rod MacDonald
Initiative for System Dynamics in the Public Sector
Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy
University at Albany
Posted by Rod MacDonald <Rod@isdps.org>
posting date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:28:52 -0500