Modelling Trends

Use this forum to discuss any issues relating to Systems Dynamics and Systems Thinking.
Till

Modelling Trends

Post by Till »

Hi,
Currently I am trying to build up a model to represent trend developments of several product attributes, p.e. the product quality or technology trends.
I took the initial values from questionings and statistics. There are also information about the trend direction. My question is, how to transform these statements into a VENSIM model.

PS: see the added example!
Attachments
Technology trend.mdl
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

trend development

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi Till

Joined a model with the equations, and units.

What do you mean by technology?

Is it general technology,general car technology, car technology applied to particular brands.

Regards.

J.J. Laublé
Attachments
Technology trend2.mdl
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Till

trend technology

Post by Till »

Hi J.J.,

in this case by "technology" it is meant the awareness of brand- specific technology images. The graduation of awareness could vary on a scale from 1-10.

I took the actual technology awareness from questionings and statistics. I estimated trends which I calculated with earlier time series. These trends I want to integrate into the model for the technology image value.

Now, I`ve introduced the trends as functions (look-up or linear).

What do you think, how to model this problem?

kind regards,

Till Hebel
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

technology trend

Post by LAUJJL »

Hi Till

I try to reformulate your problem.

Tell me if I am wrong.

You try to model the evolution through time of the CUSTOMER awareness of the level of the technology of the brand?

You have statistics of past awareness and want with the model estimate what could be the future customer awareness of the brand
technology?

First what is the technology switch for?

The maximum useful technology value should be the level of technology beyond which the customer is not interested by any further
improvement?

The change in technology is initiated by the people managing the brand?
This seems evident, but it costs nothing to precise it.
To resume:

The change of awareness is governed in your model by the present awareness and by the maximum.
I understand why it is governed by the maximum, the owner having no interest to try to increase the awareness past that point.
Is the trend function representing the evaluation of the owner of the brand of the effort they should make to increase the awareness depending on the level already reached?

Example: The owner of Toyota thinks that if the level of awareness is 4, they should work to change it to 6, but if it is equal to 7, they would be pleased that ir reaches 8?
Some things are not clear.
Is it necessary to represent the real level of technology that can be different from the one perceived by the customer?

I do not quite understand your problem. and I think a problem well explained is already half solved.
Regards.
J.J. Laublé