Compiling for dual core machines

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Schepers

Compiling for dual core machines

Post by Schepers »

I am quite happy with vensim compiled versions. 3 to 5 times faster, a compiling delay of 1 sec, great!
I have a dual core computer, and only one of the CPUs is active, so I wonder, can I further increase speed?
Can we compile vensim for full use of dual core?
Hans
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

I did some experiments several years ago with Intel compilers to try to speed up simulation, I never managed to accomplish much. It is possible that if your model has lots of subscripts a dual core aware compiler might be able to give you some simulation speed up, but it would probably not be too much. Right now it looks like explicit thread management is going to be required to get performance out of multicore processors. That is todo on our side.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hello Bob,

The explicit thread management requirement you mentioned, is it included in the current vensim versions? If not, do you have plans for this and well will it come?

I'm considering getting a quad-core machine for my (compiled) model runs and I'd like to know if this makes sense.

Thanks,
Richard
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

The current version of Vensim does have a lot more thread control but it is between simulation and other activities - especially the UI. This makes a big difference in SyntheSim but less of one for straight simulation, optimization or sensitivity simulations.