the plot in vensim

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
qingri212

the plot in vensim

Post by qingri212 »

How to plot more than two kinds of variables( for example, a level variables whose unit is kg, and a rate whose unit is m/s) into one graph, which has only one x axis( unit is time, like month) and two or even more y axis(all y axis at left side , or one left one right)?
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

Click on one variable to select it, then shift click on the second, then click on the Graph tool. Alternatively create a custom graph.
qingri212

Thank you

Post by qingri212 »

Originally posted by bob@vensim.com
Click on one variable to select it, then shift click on the second, then click on the Graph tool. Alternatively create a custom graph.

Yes, I know that.
But the thing is, I need the graph shows the second y axis at the right side, for if two many y axises at left side it would seems confused( the reader needs identify which line has which unit and max/min of y axis)
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

I do not see the interest to put on the same graph two variables with different units. The interest to put two variables on the same graph is to compare them as you do with different runs. There is no interest to do that, because they are not comparable having different units. It is better to use two graphs side by side, each one for each variable. It will be much more clear.
JJ
qingri212

Thanks

Post by qingri212 »

Originally posted by LAUJJL
I do not see the interest to put on the same graph two variables with different units. The interest to put two variables on the same graph is to compare them as you do with different runs. There is no interest to do that, because they are not comparable having different units. It is better to use two graphs side by side, each one for each variable. It will be much more clear.
JJ

The reason why I want to do that is because I saw this kind of graphs in <principles of systems> by Jay Forrester. I know this book was published in an era without computors, but I just want have the same graphs as it was in the book.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

principles of systems was published in 1968, and at this time there were already computers. I can testify it as I was at this time working on a very big Univac computer using the fortran language, at the army as an operational researcher. I think that some books are worth being read (I have too principles of systems) but one must be able later on, to take some distance from them and experiment by oneself.
JJ
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

All scales will appear on the left hand side. The scales on the axis map to variables based on their units of measure. With two or three variables this is rarely cause for confusion. With more than that it can get hard to read (though actually not as hard for me as it would be if some variables showed up on the right in the axis). If you look, for example, at the sample state of the world graph that is part of the WRLD3-03 model you will see the different labels.

If the graphs are getting confusing you may be able to force some variables onto the same scale even with different units (for example Widget and Widget/Year) and then override the displayed units (using for example Widgets) as part of a custom graph definition.
qingri212

Post by qingri212 »

I know there were computors, but the book I have has no graph done by computors(like the first pic in attachment). What I want to do is replacing all the handwriting in the way of PC, making it more readable for Chinese students who prefer reading "formal books".

And, I think some pic are better to understand if we graph in the way of the second pic in attachment. If we use many variables in one graph, it is better not to show all the units parallel lines.
Attachments
one page.jpg
one page.jpg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
qingri212

Post by qingri212 »

the second pic
Attachments
Sec 2.3b.jpg
Sec 2.3b.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 4900 times
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

If you are working toward publication you should either create the graph, copy it, then past it into a desktop publishing program (or something like Word failing that) and edit the resulting graphic object to look the way you want it to. Alternatively export the data and use another application to create the graph in the format you desire.