Warnings

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
walin

Warnings

Post by walin »

Dear all,

I get a warning when I try to use data from an excel file:

WARNING: Simulation starts before first time for exogenous variable - "X"
WARNING: Exogenous variable - "X" - in range at time 1

Can I avoid such warnings?

thx
Walin
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Yes. Click Tools->Options->Settings and click "Suppress" for the "Show warnings" setting.
walin

Post by walin »

thx
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

It's good to turn them back on from time to time to be sure that you're not missing anything important.

Tom
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

you can also target specific warnings by using control keywords in a .cin file - see the section "Constant Input Files" in Chapter 8 of the Reference Manual.
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Post by LAUJJL »

I try to avoid turning warnings off, unless I have not found some way to modify the model so as to avoid the warning.
I always declare a variable as supplementary to avoid a warning, use a dimensionless parameter with look ups. With warnings like ' the value has changed with initialisation' I try to change the structure of the model. I have always found a solution to avoid any warnings, so if I press the Ctrl u key, I expect to have no warnings at all if I have made some changes to my model. I do not understand people who leave plenty of warnings that could be easily suppressed when one runs their models. A warning warns and it is better to understand why and to make modifications if possible.
There are a multitude of possibilities to make errors in a model both conceptual or technical and turning of a possible information easy to obtain about the model is to my opinion unclever.
Regards.
JJ