Linking Sliders

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
drees

Linking Sliders

Post by drees »

Is it possible to link sliders so that the the sum of the linked sliders does not exceed a set figure - in this case 1? I want to build a simple version of my transport model so that the client can 'play' with shifting the percentages of mode choice - in this case car, public transport and active. In the full model these are all part of closed loops but I want to build a very simple open loop model so that they can play with these percentages directly to test some hypotheses they have. I know ithink/STELLA has this built in functionality and was wondering if there was a way of replicating it in vensim.

Thanks

David
Administrator
Super Administrator

Re: Linking Sliders

Post by Administrator »

Do you mean in Vensim sketches? If yes, there is no way to link them (but I'll raise it as an improvement).

I've attached a model that might help. Not quite what you need, you could rename "var 1", "var 2" to "weighting 1" etc. The bar graphs show the relative percentages.
Attachments
demo.mdl
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Advice to posters seeking help (it really helps us to help you)
http://www.ventanasystems.co.uk/forum/v ... f=2&t=4391

Units are important!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27509559
drees

Re: Linking Sliders

Post by drees »

As you say not quite what I need but definitely useable. A very clever workaround. I can understand why it is not a builtin function within Vensim as it is a bit sloppy. However, I get enormous mileage out of using very simple, often very simplistic, models to get client engagement and the ability to easily manipulate percentages amongst options while not 'real' can be very useful to get clients engagement with the process.

Thanks for your help

Regards

David