DELAY FIXED

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
viladent

DELAY FIXED

Post by viladent »

Hi,
I am trying to set a Delay Fixed between a population aged 0-1 and a population aged 16-20, so I have entered a 192 month delay and an initial value of population 0-1 at 40000 as it should be but I obtain graphs with high and negative values. I know the rest of the model is working as I tried it before with several reservoirs between 0-1 and 16-20 instead of a Delay Fixed.
What did I do wrong with Delay Fixed?
Thanks
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Can you give us the part of the model that is not working? It is probably a very simple fix.

Tony.
viladent

Post by viladent »

Originally posted by Administrator
Can you give us the part of the model that is not working? It is probably a very simple fix.

Tony.
Actually I entered a Delay fixed such as "0-1", 192, 42500 as the reservoir 0-1 is currently at 42500, reservoir 16-20 is at 34000 as 80% of the persons in 0-1 will enter 16-20 192 month later, when I do a simulation on 300 months I obtained graphs with negative values for both reservoirs 0-1 and 16-20, the other part s of the models are OK
Thank you
Chris
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I really need to see a model here. Can you copy the part that is giving negative results into a new model, get that running so that it produces the error and then post it here?

Tony.
viladent

Post by viladent »

Originally posted by Administrator
I really need to see a model here. Can you copy the part that is giving negative results into a new model, get that running so that it produces the error and then post it here?

Tony.
Hi Tony.
sorry, I cannot really keep up to speed with the forum due to the time difference. I really appreciate your efforts to support a beginer as I am. I have reproduced a fragment of the model with the reservoirs which give the negative number.
Best regards
Christian
Attachments
age effect (mock up).mdl
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I have made a few changes.

First, I think you really wanted to delay the birth rate rather than the "0-1" level. By delaying the level, you were removing "0-1" from that level rather than the births as people age.

The model I have uploaded is what I think you are after. Run it in Synthesim mode and use the "switch" to change the drain on the "0-1" level. One drain uses "delay fixed", the other has the standard delay used in a lot of SD models (you used it to drain the "16-20" level).

Is this what you are after?

Hope it helps.

Tony.
Attachments
age_2.mdl
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
viladent

Post by viladent »

Hello Tony,

Unfortunately, I cannot open "age2" as it saves as mdl.php format which is not recognized on my PC, is it because I have an old version? or is it because I only have a PLE on my home PC? (I have PLE V5.a) In any case I will re-load "age2" tomorow on the university PC where we have the full version.
I undestand your comment about delaying the birth rate instead the level.
About your question the file "age" I attached with my mail yesterday is an extract of the more extensive model I am working on at the moment.
Best regards
Christian
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Try renaming the file to age2.mdl, it should work fine then.

For some reason, when downloading from the forum, files get their extensions mixed up.

Tony.
viladent

Post by viladent »

I renamed your file and also cleaned previous mdl files (it seems that some interferences could occur between new and former file with close names), now everything works fine.
Thanks a lot again.
Chris