problem running simulations

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Zephyr

problem running simulations

Post by Zephyr »

I am trying to run a simulation on a model that was created with
Vensim version 5.8b. I am running version 5.10a PLE Plus.

When I try to run a simulation I get several error messages that tell me several inputs are not used in the model "......is not used in this model"

My collegues, who are running the same model on earlier versions of vensim, do not have this problem? Their Vensim versions just ignore the missing info and run the simulation.

I thought it was a a compatibility problem, but a rep at 'Vensim' has told me this:

"You are describing warnings about variables not used. These do not prevent simulation. Vensim is backward compatible to models from 20 years ago"

They don't seem to know what the problem is and suggested I could get help here on this forum.

Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this and get vensim to run a simulation (I need to generate graphs etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

These are not errors, just warnings. You have equations/calculations that are not used by any other equations/calculations. Your colleagues should also get the same warnings (as far as I'm aware, you cannot hide them).

If you want to stop them appearing, edit the equation for each parameter that you are getting warnings for, and click the "Supplementary" check box.

The model should still run fine. Is it failing for some reason?

Tony.
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks Tony,

I understand that these warnings should not stop simulation, I just cannot think of another reason why it will not run a simulation. When I click on the graphs tool bar, it tells me to load runs, and will not generate the graph.

I am completely bewildered by this, and not sure what other factor could be stopping the simulation.

I have seen the model work on my colleagues computer, so its not the model - I have installed the programme on another computer and had the same problem. I even tried to install on a mac platform, and still the same problem.

Any other ideas about what I could do?
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

It sounds like you just haven't run the model yet. Running the model will generate a run which you can then load and examine the graphs.

Have a look at the users guide, chapter 3 titled "A hands on example". The part you need is "Simulating the model". Do this and it will generate the run file that you need.

Also look at chapter 2, the section "The control panel". This will show you how to load/unload runs.

Tony.
Lee Jones

Post by Lee Jones »

Go to the menu option tools>options and the "Settings" tab

Select "Suppress" under "Warnings" and warning messages will not appear

Any other message you now get when trying to simulate will be related to a problem in the model preventing simulation

Sometimes these warning messages can crowd out the really important ones, so hopefully this will help
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

Thankyou, I tried the 3 things suggested above

1. Chapter 3, simulating models - as soon as I press the SyntheSim button, I just get a message that the model has errors, I choose 'no', and then I get the message to load runs. It does not change to 'SyntheSim' mode? So how can I then run the model?
2. Chapter 2, load runs. I cannot create the run, therefore nothing to upload?
3. Suppress Warning tools - I cannot find this on the menu!!! I am using PLE Plus, so maybe it doesn't have this feature?

I am relying on an external excel spreadsheet for all the data. The excel document opens at the same time as the model, so I think this should be ok?

I think I need specific instructions on how to run the model on the latest vensim software 5.10a PLE Plus?? The online manual is maybe out of date?
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

I think that the warnings about "not used..." are not the only errors ... scroll through the list of generated errors to see if there's anything else at the bottom (simultaneous equation problems will appear at the end of the list, for example).

Can you post the model?
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

This may actually be a related to a problem with the GET XLS functions that have been discovered in 5.10a (there is traffic on other threads). You might download and install an earlier version of Vensim to see if that fixes the problem (just click on the other versions button at the bottom of the download page). If you post the model and spreadhseet I can easily test this.
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks, yes it all works perfectly on an earlier version of Vensim - that was indeed the problem. Thanks everyone.