vdf files - vensim dll

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
etam

vdf files - vensim dll

Post by etam »

Are there any possibilities to process a vdf file without a model? vensim_get_data needs the variable name, which of course can be retrieved from a (published) model or simulation. But what if I don’t have one? Are there any possibilities to get the variable names and subscripts from the vdf file? (Without tricks like VDF2TAB?)
/I’d like to implement something like a vdf viewer and editor, connected to a database./
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I cannot think of a way.

You don't actually need the model to get the results, but you do need the variable name.
etam

Post by etam »

Yes, that is exactly my problem...

Anyway, thanks for confirmation.
tomfid
Administrator

Post by tomfid »

Here's one option: you can open a vdf as a model (via File>Open... - just change the file type setting). That let's you see the variables in the vdf - use the Variables tab of the control panel. You can then use the sketch tools to put the variables on a diagram and create a .mdl format data model for the run.
bob@vensim.com

Post by bob@vensim.com »

If you are connecting to a database and only want to view data it seems like the obvious thing would just be to dump the contents of the vdf to the database and do everything directly against the database.
etam

Post by etam »

Yes, but it's not the case.
I have mdl and vdf, and need data from vdf.
I guess I must use vdf2tab, there is no better solution.