Suggestion for search functionality

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
Robbert

Suggestion for search functionality

Post by Robbert »

At the moment I am working on a big model we have build and find it hard to navigate through the model when I zoom the page. Would it be possible to have a small window that tracks what part of the screen I am looking at?

Regards,

Robbert
Administrator
Super Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Hello Robbert,

The best thing to do would be to break the structure up into more manageable parts. Using Vensim, you can construct your model over a number of views.

Tony.
Robbert

Post by Robbert »

We have broken up the model over a number of pages (36 the current count) but the main page can't be broken down without creating difficulties explaining to others what happens in the total model.

We are able to print these models on A3 and the main model is just readable on print. On screen we need the zoom function and it would make it very easy to browse over the page if there would be a small window indicating where we are on the page.
Lee Jones

Post by Lee Jones »

Robbert,

In my experience, I have never come across a situation where a large, scrollable view of the entire model would be of any use at all - and I have built some huge models (200+ views) although that was in my early career, I avoid that sort of complexity as much as possible now.

What seems to work is the creation of a high-level overview of the model - using the SKETCH COMMENT tool to create the main stock-and-flow structure and highlight major feedback loops. This can then be hidden to multiple depths so as to unveil the structural complexity in stages, whilst informing the audience as you go along.

You can combine this with the NAVIGATE TO option in the sketch comment tool to take the "storey" to another view in order to continue should it be impossible to keep the overview on one view (which seems to be the case with your model)

If you need to scroll around to view your "view" then I believe you will quickly lose your audience.
Robert

Shadow Vars

Post by Robert »

Hi everybody

i am building a socio-economic model about water versus agriculture and their social impact as 150 vars, and i use shadow vars to make it in small pieces and it look very good
robert romero flores
Lee Jones

Post by Lee Jones »

Glad to hear it! It is reasonably common practice to use shadow variables, the capability is common across all packages I believe.
Robbert

Post by Robbert »

Hi all,

The idea here was not about shadow variables. The model I am working on currently has well over 1250 variables. Contains about 60 different pages. So without shadow variables this would not be possible to build in the first place.

The idea is basically that there is an important main dynamic flow of which most of the model is derived.

This main flow is so big that it is build over 8 different screens/views. It would have been great if you could link this screens in a big overview picture.

In order to explain the model we now use programs like powerpoint to build the overview. To me it would be ideal if I could do this in Vensim.

Cheers,

Robbert
Lee Jones

Post by Lee Jones »

Robbert,

if you can use PowerPoint to build the overview diagram, then you can do this in Vensim too. Use the sketch/comment tool to create objects on the screen and link them with arrows denoting influence. You can then use the multi-layer hide functionality on Vensim (together with the HOME and END keys) to display the overview stage by stage, when with the client.

Of course, PowerPoint can be more impressive but is very time consuming.

Lee