Vensim versus Simul8

Use this forum to post Vensim related questions.
nikvyas

Vensim versus Simul8

Post by nikvyas »

Hello all.

My company is currently in the process of deciding upon a standard through-life modelling tool.

The choice has basically boiled down to two. Vensim or Simul8.

Could the learned members please give an idea of what advantages/disadvantages Simul8 has over Vensim?

Thanks very much

Nik
LAUJJL
Vensim version: DSS

Re: Vensim versus Simul8

Post by LAUJJL »

A standard through life modeling tool is not a sufficiently precise definition to give a valid advice to my opinion.
Both tools are quite different and serve different purposes. If you have no better definition than the one you gave, the only option is to try both.
Regards.
JJ
Lee Jones

Post by Lee Jones »

I agree with JJ.

In the past whenever I have had to evaluate alternative software packages the best way (in addition to undertaking research as you are) is really to download and try it. You can download Simul8 demo from their website, I have had a quick look and it appears to be an object-oriented discrete event package, which Vensim certainly isn't.

I think it may be dangerous to try to shoe-horn all your simulation needs into one package or another; both are reasonably priced compared to the industrial-sized simulation packages out there (which are ten's of thousands to buy). I would say that Vensim (and SD) would be better suited to supporting medium to long-term strategy while Simul8 would be a much better bet for detailed modelling of processes at, say, a shop-floor or hospital out-patients clinic, for example. In Simul8, you would be able to optimise on nurse numbers including rotas, nurse desk locations, bed locations, equipment etc while using Vensim you would be looking at the longer term implications of budget allocation and the impact on strategic goals. These approaches are complementary.

That said, I have used Vensim to create models at the level of detail best left to Simul8 and its ilk, it's really a matter of deciding on what you want to do.
nikvyas

Post by nikvyas »

Thanks Lee - I was hoping you'd read my message, because you are well aware of the type of product/service I am talking about.

I ended up going on a two day Simul8 course yesterday and Tuesday and I agree with everything you posted. Vensim is more suited to a higher level type of analysis when you are looking at/identifying major policy (or value, or performance) drivers. Once they have been identified and sensitivity analysis performed (if necessary), Simul8 can be used, if required, to model a particular area at a more detailed level - because it is obviously more suited for discrete simulation than Vensim.

I am hoping that the company sees the distinction and decides to go with both Vensim and Simul8.